Pinspired to DIY
Pinspired to DIY
  • Loomis, CA

DIY Personalized Elevated Pet Feeder

We recently added a new furry addition to our family, a 7 month old border collie named Hannah! We purchased her from a very nice family who didn't quite know what they were getting into when they purchased a Border Collie! She has A LOT of energy and is very stubborn (but luckily she's also very sweet and cute!). We are working on the stubborn thing, but in the meantime I wanted to build her a personalized elevated dog feeder (she is currently using an ugly plastic one that belonged to our previous dog, a Golden who died back in July). So, I decided to make her a new, fancy feeder!
diy personalized elevated pet feeder, bedroom ideas, crafts, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, tools, wall decor, woodworking projects
First, here's a picture of our new mischievous girl (she's pretty cute, right!) :-):
Here are abbreviated instructions for building the feeder. For full details and cut sizes, please visit my blog at the link below.
Onto the project! To build the feeder, I used the following sizes of boards:
- 1x12
- 1x2
- 1x4
- 2x2
- beadboard
First I cut the 1x12 to the proper size to form the top of the feeder. I measured the feeding bowls and drew the circles on the 1x12 board to use as the guide for my cuts.
I used my jig saw to cut out the holes in the wood (first use a large drill bit to drill a hole inside each circle, this will allow your jig was blade to fit through).
Next cut the 2x2 boards to length for the legs, and attach to each of the corners of the 1x12 board using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
Now, time to cut the 1×2 boards! It’s so fun when your project begins resembling it’s intended use! (Well, maybe that’s just me, but hey it’s the little things in life that make me happy!)
Cut three 1×2 boards to length. Attach one of the 1×2 boards to the top front of the feeder using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
Attach a second 1×2 board below the top 1×2 board (the top of the lower board should start 5 5/8″ below the bottom of the top 1×2 board).
Next, attach the third 1×2 board to the top back of the feeder using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
Now cut the side 1×2 boards. Cut four 1×2 boards to size. Attach one 1×2 board to the top of each side using wood glue and pocket hole screws. Attach a second 1×2 board 3″ below the top side 1×2 (the top of the bottom 1×2 should begin 3″ below the bottom of the top 1×2 board).
Time to cut the bead board. Cut the front and side beadboard pieces and attach to the back of the front 1×2 boards using wood glue and finish nails. Repeat this process and attach the smaller pieces of beadboard to the back of the side 1×2 boards.
Okay, last cut! Cut a 1×4 board to length. Attach the 1×4 board 5 5/8″ below the top 1×2 board on the back of the feeder using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
Next, sand and paint the feeder with your color of choice, I used gloss white.
I purchased small MDF letters at Hobby Lobby and painted those gloss black. I attached to the beadboard on the front of the feeder using wood glue.
I then added the bowls and placed the feeder in its designated spot!

• Wood boards  (Home Depot)
  • Stainless steel pet bowls  (Pet store)
  • Mdf letters  (Craft store)

Pinspired to DIY

• Cissie

what type of paint do you se since it has to be safe for pets. My dog licks the side of the feeder and bowl