The Easiest Way to Get a Faux Shiplap Wall

$9

Low on funds and want to try something different in your home? This is the perfect little project to give any accent wall in your house a facelift without breaking the bank!
BEFORE: We have a little alcove in our bedroom that needed some attention. Once Rob gets some down time, he wants to make us a headboard (and possibly a bed frame...he made Bo's toddler bed and it's so amazing!) but for now, I felt this little wall could use a character.
SUPPLIES: -pencil -level -paint roller -paint pan -clear paint sealer
STEP 1: Measure the Lines I decided not to create a trim for my wall, so I started my lines by measuring from the ceiling. I measured every 6 inches as most things I read stated that shiplap is usually 6 or 8" wide.
STEP 2: Draw Lines Next, using my level, I drew the lines that would become my shiplap slats. You can choose to do shorter slates that are off set (not sure of the word to use to describe this, but basically like a brick effect, much how the side of a brick house or building looks when they are laid--does this make sense?). My wall is roughly 7' wide whereas shiplap slats come 12' long (I looked this info up before drawing my lines), so I figured continuous slats would be fine.
STEP 3: Darken and Shade Lines After all of my lines were drawn out, I went back and darkened them, then shaded them. I used the side of my sharpened pencil, adding slight pressure on the line, then lightening my pressure a little to create a shade. Because one of the previous owners of our house must have used wallpaper at some point on this wall (our house was built in the 60's), it's not totally smooth which messed up my shading, but I tried to work with it anyway.
Here is a close up of me darkening my lines.
As I darkened my lines, I went back with my finger and smudged the lines so they weren't so granulated and looked a little more natural (as natural as I could get with a pencil, that is!).
I continued step 3 until my entire wall was finished.
STEP 4: Apply Sealer Finally, I applied one coat of paint sealer, so that I didn't experience any unwanted smudging or smearing of my pencil lines. I couldn't find a non-glossy paint sealer for walls ANYWHERE, so I just went with this clear gloss sealant. You can't tell much of a difference in the finish with the rest of my light grey walls, so I'm not too worried about the gloss after all.
I'll admit I wasn't crazy about it at first, but once I backed away and saw the whole look, I could see the full effect, and I started to warm up to this little experiment. I feel like the faux shiplap completes the blank wall behind our bed and gives our little alcove a cozy feel.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Lynn

I Really like it, does the room appear smaller ? Thank you.
  • Paula K. Varble

Did you not do vertical lines alternating in the "boards"?
    • Rory McBean

After watching Johanna Gaines' romance with shiplap, I do not think I have seen any alternating vertical seams on any of her shiplap walls. I think that's the point of shiplap as opposed to other types of wood applications. But, I could be totally wrong!

• Andrea

Love the wall, but what I would like to know is where did you get tree plaque?

Thanks!

• Marlissa Gibbs

I love this! You are my kind of DIY'er! These are the ideas I look for and I have shared it with many friends and family. Thank you and I'll start looking for your blog right now! Marlissa

• Debi

i just love shiplape never seen it B4 the way you did it..😄. I love doing DIY projects an Safe some money to..I am getting ready to do over my bedroom an have a wall or maybe 1/2 behind head of my bed I will try your DIY project with the shiplap but am using another color like light blue??? Keep up your good DIY projects.. Good Luck☮️