My Pallet Wood Has Gone to the Dogs

If you love dogs and love working with pallets, I have the perfect project for you...a four foot long German Shorthaired Pointer. Of course you can do other breeds but this one was inspired by my sister's dog.
And it was my sister's idea in the first place to make a large wooden Pointer out of wood. I loved the project because I could use my trusty pallet wood and I had never done a dog before. Challenge accepted!
Because enlarging the original picture was out of the question, I needed a good German Shorthaired Pointer picture. I found this one online from Vector Toons.
She sent me an inspiration picture but enlarging the original picture was out of the question, it was too small and pixely. I needed a good German Shorthaired Pointer picture. I eventually found this one online from Vector Toons. It was perfect.
If you're looking for pictures of other breeds of dogs they have a bunch.
Like all my oversized signs I enlarged my puppy in Microsoft Publisher. My poster size was 52″x 30″ which prints out on 20 sheets of paper.
My puppy poster was printed out and taped back together.
Once taped together, I cut out the Pointer from the white background. I now had my pattern.
Lay out your pallet wood beneath the dog until all parts of the dog are covered.
Trace around your dog onto the pallet wood and cut out with a jigsaw or a scroll saw.
Make sure to keep your pieces in order as you cut.
On a piece of backer board, this is 1/4″ plywood, once again trace around your dog.
I used a handheld jigsaw to cut the plywood backing. This time when you’re cutting, cut 1/4″ inside the outline of the dog so that none of the backing board sticks out from beneath the pallet wood.
Use construction adhesive to attach the pallet wood to the backing.
Believe it or not, the majority of my Pointer was painted with chalk paint, wax. Use the original dog clipart as a pattern to draw where the legs, ear and markings will go.
Use dark vintage wax for the brown parts painting a line of wax on the side where the shadow is then blending with a rag.
The lighter highlights are a white wax and in the darkest areas (spot, eye, nose and behind the ears ) I mixed the vintage wax with black chalk paint.
You can see more of the finished pup at the blog link below. See you there.

ScavengerChic