Homestead 128
Homestead 128
  • Garnavillo, IA

Lightly Distressed China Cabinet

A handed down china cabinet goes from a glossy cherry wood to a matte, off-white color that is lightly distressed. The final product fits in perfectly with our modern farmhouse!
lightly distressed china cabinet, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painted furniture
Step 1: To prepare the cabinet for painting I removed or taped off the hardware. Next I removed the shelves (which I painted on a drop cloth). Finally I protected the glass by covering it with newspaper and taping it in place with painters tape.
Step 2: I added two layers of off white chalk paint to the cabinet, making sure to cover up any thin spots the second time.
Step 3: Next I lightly sanded the edges and corners. I wanted the piece to remain timeless so I went easy on the sanding. I used a handheld sanding block to sand the edges of doors, raised details, and corners.

And Step 4: I added wax to protect my finished piece. The clear furniture wax keeps it safe from scratches and water, without changing the color or tint. I applied it with a clean, lint-free cloth. Then I went over the wax in a circular motion with a new cloth.
To see more of this project, and others like it over to Homestead128.
Homestead 128

• Eileen Nunez

Question, you didn't have to samd it down first?

• Homestead 128

Hi Eileen! With this brand of paint I did not. With other paint brands you should check the label for instructions. Click the link above to see the brands I used

• HappyHaven62

Why does everyone want to cover up the beautiful wood with paint ? I so much prefer the natural side of EVERYTHING

• Brook Hauck Crowell

I personally dislike the color brown and therefore do not like the look of natural wood. It's just a preference. I had some gorgeous old wood pieces handed down to me that totally clashed with my decor. I could either be unhappy with the color as I look at them every day or paint them and love them.

• Judy Meade Fletcher

Did you use a brush?

• Absolutely beautiful

• Tara

Absolutely gorgeous and the creamy white brings out the beautiful lines of the piece. So happy to hear it is the perfect fit with your modern farmhouse style!