Junk Love Boutique
Junk Love Boutique
  • Rhineland, MO

Bedroom Makeover on a Budget

$150

Our master bedroom was in desperate need of some TLC and updating. It was simply a place to sleep and most visitors don't even see the bedrooms so it got pushed to the end of the "updating list". I didn't want to spend tons of money buying new pieces so I updated what we had and I'm so excited with how it turned out.
bedroom makeover on a budget
Being a furniture refinisher and builder by trade, I typically bring home pieces and then end up selling them. (Hints the reason there is no headboard pictured! ☺️) The headboard that we had previously didn't really fit the style I was going for.
bedroom makeover on a budget
None of the furniture in our room matched. The dresser set was a hand me down and our nightstand was a TJ Maxx find several years ago. I was so ready to have furniture that looked that it actually belonged together!
bedroom makeover on a budget
Here's an up close of the dresser in its original finish. I decided to keep the tops stained in a light finish and paint the bottoms white. Our house is small and the bedrooms are no different so I wanted it to feel as big and airy as possible.
bedroom makeover on a budget
  1. Here's the after! The most expensive part of refinishing the dresser set was the new hardware. I spent right at $50 for 30 some pulls. Not too bad if you ask me! The mirror was an estate sale find. It was originally gold but in perfect shape. I paid a whopping $5 for it and spray painted it black to match the updated drawer pulls.
bedroom makeover on a budget
Here is what the mirror looked like before I painted it.
bedroom makeover on a budget
This is what the nightstand looked like once refinished. The baskets are my favorite part of the look.
bedroom makeover on a budget
I built a new headboard for about $45 and stained it to match the tops of our furniture. The updated bedding from Wayfair and Home Goods was the perfect way to top off the look I was hoping for.
bedroom makeover on a budget
The last addition to this room will be replacing the plain jane closet doors with barn doors but all in due time! At this point, I'm just excited to have a headboard and furniture that all looks like it was meant to be a set. 😍
bedroom makeover on a budget

• Susan Blumberg

What kind of paint did you use and how did you prep it? Did you just sand it good and did you prime it?
  • Jan

Why would you want to cover up your window with a backboard? You lose light along with your view :'(
  • Marie Ferguson-Berkery

Why did you paint that beautiful mirror frame? I would have moved it into another room and picked up an inexpensive one at Home Goods or some other store like that.