PRIVACY FENCING ON A BUDGET

$215

Can't afford to have a privacy fence installed? Can't afford to install the new Vinyl Fencing? What about Wood Fencing? No. I have an affordable solution. Privacy for the DIYer on budget.

The old fencing was removed and not replaced before we moved in. It left us looking at a large sports building with weeds and overgrowth. I hated looking out the window. Who wants to dread looking out the window? Not me!! The backyard is in need of a lot of work. The fencing is where I knew I wanted to start. On such a limited budget, where does one begin? Research sets in. After months of looking and brainstorming, Bamboo Reed Fencing was found. At approximately $23.27 for a 6' x 16' roll, I found my solution. One problem, it was very thin and you could see through it. One reviewer said they folded it over to make an 6'x 8' section. OK. Makes sense. What can I do to make it even more private? Landscaping material. It's black, wards off weeds, and it's $25-ish for 150'. BINGO!! Another issue, it's not incredibly sturdy. How do I make it sturdy and not fall apart at the first sign of a good storm? 6' tomato steaks. PERFECT!! Now to install. I started by cleaning up all the weeds and overgrowth on both sides of the fence. I know this will not be popular with some but I used weed killer on the other side of the fence. The owners do not keep the weeds and overgrowth pulled/trimmed. It gets crazy and brings unwanted critters. The weed killer and weed barrier should keep the overgrowth from infiltrating my yard. The next step was to put together the fencing and weed barrier and attach it to the fence. The end product is something I could not be happier with!
privacy fencing on a budget
Before. This is after I cleaned out the weeds and brush on both sides of the fence.
privacy fencing on a budget
privacy fencing on a budget
I stretched out the Bamboo Fencing. It reached about 16'. I laid the weed barrier on 8' of the fence.
privacy fencing on a budget
Then I sprayed both sides with professional strength glue. I followed the directions for dry time. Then I sprayed it again according to direction. I, then, folded one side over on top of the other side to make an 6'x8' section. I secured ends together with zip ties.
privacy fencing on a budget
Before I attached it to the fence, I hammered two tomato stake in-between the two permanent fence posts. I used zip ties to attach the Bamboo Reed Fencing to the chain link fence. I used zip ties about every 8-12 inches. I made sure to pull the Fencing taut to keep it from bending. I, also, attached it to the top of the tomato steak which I hammered into the ground about a foot. Once I felt it was strong enough I moved on to another section. Each section was completed exactly the same.
privacy fencing on a budget
I attached each preceding section to the previous one by about an inch. I used zip ties for this step too.
privacy fencing on a budget
Here's a small view of the tomato stake.
privacy fencing on a budget
Here's the finished product. I couldn't be happier with my Privacy on a Budget. I did this all by myself. I would recommend having a second set of hands for attaching each section to the old fence.

• 3 bags of Zip Ties  (Ace Haedware)
  • 5 rolls Bamboo Reed Fencing  (Home Depot)
  • Landscaping Material (weed barrier)  (Home Depot)

• Patricia Hatch Poulin

I live in Florida and tried the reed fence idea a couple years ago. I doubled layered the fence and you could still see through. Great idea with the landscape fabric. What does the backside look like? That is what i would be looking at, cant face my neighbors with the unpretty side. Also be aware, the reed will not hold up to strong sun and the elements. Mine has disintegrated.
    • Phyllis Smith

About 8 years ago I did the same type of getting the privacy. Only I used the wood pickets that the wood fence panels are made from. I had a roll of electricians vinyl coated wire and I used that instead of zip ties. Same concept but pretty much a permanent fix. It still looks about like when I did it, 2 hurricanes ago. (I'm in Florida too)
  • Brenda Raymond

I have some reed fencing to use but not sure how durable it is through the winter. Does it need some sort of weatherproofing?
  • Amy Elizab Itch Moore

I'm curious about how much each section cost you, roughly?

• Izzy

Bamboo makes a great barrier as well. No maintenance and it grows rapidly.
  • Steve Rosenzweig

Love the idea, but we had a mild thunderstorm with some wind gusts above 30 mph... top of bamboo folded in half. I wonder if there may be something a bit stronger to hold up against wind.
    • Rebecca Peterson Watson

We've had pretty bad storms with strong wind too. Have you tried the tomato stakes every two feet with the fencing pulled tightly? I haven't had any problems. Fingers crossed added support will help.