Space Saving Shoe Storage

$5

We have a problem with excess shoes and boots at the backdoor. They are all over the place and no real spot for them. I hate tripping over shoes. So....

space saving shoe storage
We have this cut out with an extra half door that goes to our basement. Once in awhile we will open it to drop a storage tub down in there or bring one up so I didn't want to completely loose the ability to access it. Occasionally I would line up some shoes there but it only fit a few pair.
space saving shoe storage
So we bought one board the right depth to fit in that space and cut it into two pieces. We had some scrap wood blocks left from another project and drilled holes for the screws.
space saving shoe storage
We had leftover white paint for the boards. It was quick and easy to put this space saving project together!
space saving shoe storage
The blocks were screwed into the wall on both sides and the wood shelves laid on them. Eight pairs of shoes fit on the two shelves and four boots or shoes sit neatly underneath!
space saving shoe storage
Even better we still have the ability to lift the shelves off and push open the door in toward the basement if we need to! But as an answer to those who are curious yes there is a full size door down to the basement elsewhere in the house.
space saving shoe storage
Getting the shoes and boots out of the way allowed me to put a bench there! I'm very happy with this space saving project.

I realize not everyone has a space cut into their wall already BUT you can create one by cutting between the studs.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Rhonda S

I dont have a basement but I have thought of doing a knockout nook on an interior wall. Thanks for the inspiration. As an off topic side note, my question is about the artwork. Did you find that and purchase or did you paint or craft it? It looks perfect eith the wall color and bench.

• Ellis

How about a boot tray on the floor, to catch drips off boots?

• Camilledrinan

Why didn't you put shelf with a padded top as a bench, and a place to the side for boots? That way you don't have to remove the shoes and shelves to push the 1/2 door.

• Kelly-n-Tony

I don't need to access the 1/2 door often. Maybe once a year if I just want to shove something down there rather then going to the kitchen which has a real door that goes down the basement.

• Diane Meland

That is a great idea! Thank you for sharing with everyone. I would have never thought of something like that. Once again thank you for sharing.

• Kathy

I don’t have a need since I live in a concrete environment but I love the idea. I’ve seen medicine cabinets and storage done this way. Thank you for sharing.