Mary Ann Goldberg
Mary Ann Goldberg
  • Tutorial Team
  • Lake Saint Louis, MO

Glass Bottle Challenge The Patriotic Way

$0

Here's my entry for this week's challenge. I've had these "ingredients" for quite a while and this week's challenge was again a perfect opportunity to "get 'er done". I'll now be ready for next year's patriotic holidays.
glass bottle challenge the patriotic way
It all starts with a pickle jar. I don't think the brand matters, but pickle jars all seem to have the correct sized area for the flag to be attached.
I went through all my colored stones and picked out 20 stones of each color as close to the same size as I could find. I estimated I'd need two rows of each color, using 9-10 in each row.
I didn't have white stones so I painted clear ones using white acrylic paint.
I had read somewhere that the stones will stick better if the jar is first covered with a layer of Mod Podge, so I gave it a coat. It did keep them from sliding, but no help with sticking.
To keep the jar from rolling I hot glued two screw drivers to the table to use as a holder for the jar. (It's an old table and I'm working up the courage to refinish it - also on my to-do list.)
I forgot to take pics during the gluing process. I removed the staff from one of the four flags (3-3/4" x 6-1/2") and glued the flag on the jar with Mod Podge - it covered exactly half of the jar. I started to hot glue the stones on but they didn't hold. So instead I put a drop of E6000 on the glass, put a drop of hot glue on the stones, then attached them together. That way the stones were kept in place until the glue dried. That seemed to hold well.
I poured in some clear marbles to hold the flags upright. And it's finished!

• Pickle jar, glass stones, 4 USA flags, acrylic paint, marbles  (Already Had)
  • Screw Drivers, E6000, Hot glue/gun, Matte Mod Podge  (Already Had)

• Jan Koelsch

Love the luck. Waving the flag for the vets and for you. Inspired me for lots of things to put on the outside of the jar.
    • Mary Ann Goldberg

Blessings to our present and former military. Thank you, Jan! This is all about inspiration - please post your items - I'd love to see them.

• Kathy A

I love how this project can be turned around for a totally different look. I think it would also be awesome with a (battery) candle in it for either side. Or a string of tiny lights. Or filled with glass stones to hold sparklers in place on Fourth of July!