Glass Bottle Challenge The Patriotic Way

$0

Here's my entry for this week's challenge. I've had these "ingredients" for quite a while and this week's challenge was again a perfect opportunity to "get 'er done". I'll now be ready for next year's patriotic holidays.
It all starts with a pickle jar. I don't think the brand matters, but pickle jars all seem to have the correct sized area for the flag to be attached.
I went through all my colored stones and picked out 20 stones of each color as close to the same size as I could find. I estimated I'd need two rows of each color, using 9-10 in each row.
I didn't have white stones so I painted clear ones using white acrylic paint.
I had read somewhere that the stones will stick better if the jar is first covered with a layer of Mod Podge, so I gave it a coat. It did keep them from sliding, but no help with sticking.
To keep the jar from rolling I hot glued two screw drivers to the table to use as a holder for the jar. (It's an old table and I'm working up the courage to refinish it - also on my to-do list.)
I forgot to take pics during the gluing process. I removed the staff from one of the four flags (3-3/4" x 6-1/2") and glued the flag on the jar with Mod Podge - it covered exactly half of the jar. I started to hot glue the stones on but they didn't hold. So instead I put a drop of E6000 on the glass, put a drop of hot glue on the stones, then attached them together. That way the stones were kept in place until the glue dried. That seemed to hold well.
I poured in some clear marbles to hold the flags upright. And it's finished!

• Pickle jar, glass stones, 4 USA flags, acrylic paint, marbles  (Already Had)
  • Screw Drivers, E6000, Hot glue/gun, Matte Mod Podge  (Already Had)

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!

• Jan Koelsch
    Jan Koelsch

Love the luck. Waving the flag for the vets and for you. Inspired me for lots of things to put on the outside of the jar.
    • Mary Ann Goldberg
      Mary Ann Goldberg

Blessings to our present and former military. Thank you, Jan! This is all about inspiration - please post your items - I'd love to see them.

• Kathy A
    Kathy A

I love how this project can be turned around for a totally different look. I think it would also be awesome with a (battery) candle in it for either side. Or a string of tiny lights. Or filled with glass stones to hold sparklers in place on Fourth of July!