Vicky Kloppenborg
Vicky Kloppenborg
  • State Center, IA

Miniature Log Cabin Christmas Ornament DIY

1 Material
$6

I've always been intrigued with miniature houses. When crafting for our outdoorsy themed Christmas tree this year, I thought a little log cabin ornament would fit in quite nicely, and wouldn't it be great if you could peer inside of it too?

An empty Christmas light box looked like it was a perfect shape and size for my project. I checked out a few templates on Pinterest, then drew a simple one to fit my
miniature log cabin christmas ornament diy
I used an exacto knife to cut a window and door where I thought I would like them. After looking at it some more, I decided I didn’t want the open door, and taped it back in.
A small piece of thin plastic was glued on the inside of the window. Let it dry.
A small hole was cut in the bottom for a Christmas light to fit up through.
A small piece of greenery was cut from a swag and shaped to make a mini Christmas tree. Clear fingernail polish and tweezers made it very easy to glue seed beads on it for ornaments.

A vintage picture was copied and glued to the inside back of the box, in the lower right hand corner. Fold the first corner of the box, on the left hand side, and secure with hot glue. Glue the finished tree where it will be seen through the window. For stability, I glued a small piece of foam down first, then the tree to the foam. Paint the foam brown.

Once the tree is in place, finish folding up the box, and secure it with hot glue. Use sharp nippers to trim your twigs, arrange, and hot glue them to the box.
There's still a few steps to go. Click on the blog link below to see how I finished building my little cabin.

Vicky Kloppenborg

1 comment