Jenny Tease
Jenny Tease
  • Tutorial Team
  • Australia

Stone Pebble Tiles on Top of Old Tiles

$250

I recently did a bathroom Reno in my 3 way bathroom but here is how I did it without having to rip up all the old tiles and saved a lot of money by going straight over top of the old ones
edit .. I did have to take doors off and take off 1.5 cm of the bottom of the door to allow for the height of the tiles using a circular saw
stone pebble tiles on top of old tiles
  • I laid out the stone tiles to get the pattern I wanted and the amount I needed to do the job. I then used a grinder to take off the shine on the old tiles so every tile needed to be done to help the glue grab. I then mixed up the tile glue as per instructions on the packet. I was doing a large area and not just the one pictured, so I bought a large 20 kg bag of glue
stone pebble tiles on top of old tiles
Once I had laid them all, I had to wait 24 /48 hours for the glue to set before mixing up the grout. I used a rubber grout trowel to apply the grout and used a pressing in and wiping on a angle away from me in on upward and out motion and kept that going the whole way. Using stone you go through a lot more grout than normal tiling due to the gap and depth around each pebble stone
stone pebble tiles on top of old tiles
Once I filled with grout I went over with. A damp cloth and a bucket of water to kept rinsing wiping away any excess . once it is dried another 24/48 hours your go back over properly to really buff up and clear of any residue . After a week it is good to add a stone sealer. It gives a beautiful shine and finish and protects the stone and maybe a quick top up of sealer each year to keep it looking fantastic and like new

stone pebble tiles on top of old tiles
Extra pics of gluing down
stone pebble tiles on top of old tiles
Even my cat joined in to help :/
stone pebble tiles on top of old tiles
A few asked so I have added this bit .. as for the drain :/ I hunted around and an add to find a new top section mine was 90 mm it is a 2 piece item. When I got home I couldn't find a way to get the lower part out so I just used the top of the new drain and popped it straight on top and grouted and sealed. The pic below this is also another item I bought which may also do the job. It is an extension which would also work this one I will use in the shower itself drain hole and mine is. Smaller
stone pebble tiles on top of old tiles

• Kim Fox

The lines of the tile are very apparent after grouting. Also; what did you do about the drain?

• Jenny Tease

Yes o. The floor I used a sq tile on my bathroom walls I used interlocking tiles so there is no join utthe floor I could only find black tiles in sq and the drain I managed to find a cap to pop on top I just have to tidy up now with some extra grout

• Cari

Could this be done on a prefab shower insert? Could you do this on the shower walls? It looks great.

• Jenny Tease

I am

insure but I do have a friend who did it on tip of his shower floor tiles I stripped my shower and water proffed and retake that also

• Barbara

How did you put the tile around the toilet. Could it be a problem if you ever had a leak around the seal that I am supposing is now covered?

• Jenny Tease

I trimmed the rocks around that area and used grout like. Normal tiling

• Amanda Bowman

I cant figure this out.

• Jenny Tease

which part? use grinder to ruff up the old tiles surface then glue wait for drying then grout wash down let dry wash down and seal

• Vicky Corey

Jenny, it's Beautiful! Ignore the negative comments. A friend of mine did this year's ago and it's still beautiful.