Stone Pebble Tiles on Top of Old Tiles

$250

I recently did a bathroom Reno in my 3 way bathroom but here is how I did it without having to rip up all the old tiles and saved a lot of money by going straight over top of the old ones
edit .. I did have to take doors off and take off 1.5 cm of the bottom of the door to allow for the height of the tiles using a circular saw
  • I laid out the stone tiles to get the pattern I wanted and the amount I needed to do the job. I then used a grinder to take off the shine on the old tiles so every tile needed to be done to help the glue grab. I then mixed up the tile glue as per instructions on the packet. I was doing a large area and not just the one pictured, so I bought a large 20 kg bag of glue
Once I had laid them all, I had to wait 24 /48 hours for the glue to set before mixing up the grout. I used a rubber grout trowel to apply the grout and used a pressing in and wiping on a angle away from me in on upward and out motion and kept that going the whole way. Using stone you go through a lot more grout than normal tiling due to the gap and depth around each pebble stone
Once I filled with grout I went over with. A damp cloth and a bucket of water to kept rinsing wiping away any excess . once it is dried another 24/48 hours your go back over properly to really buff up and clear of any residue . After a week it is good to add a stone sealer. It gives a beautiful shine and finish and protects the stone and maybe a quick top up of sealer each year to keep it looking fantastic and like new

Extra pics of gluing down
Even my cat joined in to help :/
A few asked so I have added this bit .. as for the drain :/ I hunted around and an add to find a new top section mine was 90 mm it is a 2 piece item. When I got home I couldn't find a way to get the lower part out so I just used the top of the new drain and popped it straight on top and grouted and sealed. The pic below this is also another item I bought which may also do the job. It is an extension which would also work this one I will use in the shower itself drain hole and mine is. Smaller

• Kim Fox

The lines of the tile are very apparent after grouting. Also; what did you do about the drain?

• Jenny Tease

Yes o. The floor I used a sq tile on my bathroom walls I used interlocking tiles so there is no join utthe floor I could only find black tiles in sq and the drain I managed to find a cap to pop on top I just have to tidy up now with some extra grout

• Cari

Could this be done on a prefab shower insert? Could you do this on the shower walls? It looks great.

• Jenny Tease

I am

insure but I do have a friend who did it on tip of his shower floor tiles I stripped my shower and water proffed and retake that also

• Barbara

How did you put the tile around the toilet. Could it be a problem if you ever had a leak around the seal that I am supposing is now covered?

• Jenny Tease

I trimmed the rocks around that area and used grout like. Normal tiling

• Amanda Bowman

I cant figure this out.

• Jenny Tease

which part? use grinder to ruff up the old tiles surface then glue wait for drying then grout wash down let dry wash down and seal

• Vicky Corey

Jenny, it's Beautiful! Ignore the negative comments. A friend of mine did this year's ago and it's still beautiful.