Material of the Week: Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2x Spray

$20

If you’re taking out the patio furniture this weekend, and you don’t love what you see, we’ve got you covered! Our Material of the Week, Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Spray paint will help you breathe new life into your well loved patio sets. Metal, wood, plastic or fabric, you can easily spray paint your outdoor furniture and get it looking brand new again.
material of the week rusto leum painter s touch 2x spray
We all know these plastic Adirondack chairs well. Whether you've seen them at a neighbor's, or you owned them at some point, you know that with so much exposure to the sun, they can start looking tired and worn out. But don't toss 'em! Lisa at Concordcottage.com shows us how she used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Spray to spray paint her chairs and has given them a new life!
1. To get started, hose down and clean your plastic chairs well. If your chairs have lots of outdoor grime on them, use a heavy duty scrubber and some soap to clean well. Let them dry completely before you start to paint.
The best part about this paint is that you won’t need to sand or even prime before you get started. Make sure you’re working on a surface that you won’t mind getting spray paint on, and it's always a good idea to work in old clothes when you’re spray painting.
2. Here comes the fun part: Grab your favorite color of Rust-Oleum spray paint (here Lisa used Apple Red, Sun Yellow, Eden & Brilliant Blue), and get painting! Hold the can 10 - 12 inches from the chairs while spraying, making sure to cover the whole surface well with paint.

**TIP: If you have trouble using a spray can for a long time, you can get a Spray Grip - an attachment for spray cans that will cut down on finger fatigue and will make spray painting even easier.  These spray grips fit over any standard spray can and can be a real game changer!
3. Once the bottom of the chair is covered well, flip over and spray paint the other side of the chair. Let each coat dry before you move on to applying a second or third coat. And that's IT. Yup, we're serious. DONE.
For these chairs, Lisa used three coats (1 ½ cans) on each chair for complete coverage.
So much better!! How awesome (and easy!) was this transformation?

To check out Lisa's full post, click here: http://www.hometalk.com/3821998/paint-your-pl...>
In this award-winning makeover (yes, hometalker KellysDIY actually won an award for this patio table makeover when she entered a furniture makeover challenge!), Kelly spray-paints this teak table to give it a completely new and updated look.
To paint your wood patio furniture:
1. Apply a primer to protect the wood from damage and to seal in the natural oils. You can use a spray-on primer or a painted-on wood primer. For this table and chairs, Kelly used Zinsser Bull's Eye 1-2-3 spray-on primer.

When Kelly got this used table, it was already showing signs of damage. She called Rust-Oleum, and they recommended sealing the patio set to protect the wood and prevent further damage. If your furniture needs repairing, you can use wood filler to fill in any cracks or holes before you prime. Let the filler or wood putty dry, then sand down well before priming.
2. Once the furniture is primed and dry, get ready to paint! Put down a tarp to protect your surfaces, grab your favorite color and start spraying. Like in the above tutorial, you’ll want to let each coat dry before you apply a second or even third coat.
We love the colors Kelly used and the finished project is just gorgeous! Are you inspired to try it yourself? What colors would work in your yard or on your patio? Let us know, we'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

To see Kelly's full post, click here: http://www.hometalk.com/18432061/patio-dining...>
Hometalk Highlights

• Sjh25305620

Adirondack chairs look great but how many cans of paint are needed for each chair?

• But31270792

Years ago I sat on a chair that had been restored with paint. It was in the sun and when I stood up the paint stuck to my dress ruining both chair and outfit. Can these be left in sun/heat/humidity and remain unscathed?

• I second what the above commentors said. I have painted every single piece of my outdoor furniture (wood, metal, and plastic) and it has held up for several years.

• Lovesunique

Good to know.

• Mka22331616

I have two older aluminum patio chairs and the black paint has oxidized over the years in the sun. I just bought two new ones to match, in black, so I'll have to repaint the older set to match the fresh paint on the new ones. I'm scared! I've never painted before. I hope the Home Depot guy doesn't steer me wrong, I do know the right paint will be the key to my success with this project. Don't judge, I'm DYI challenged!