AMAZING CAMPHOR COFFEE TABLE

$350
1 Day

I felt in love with tables made from raw tree trunks the first time I laid eyes on one. And since it was love at first sight, I started searching on the web for a place to buy one. I was soon heartbroken when I found out the prices, between $3500 and upwards of $7000!!
So, I said to myself “I guess it is time for another DIY” and build my own table.

coffee table made out of camphor
I found a place about an hour and a half from my house where they sell this type of lumber. I was so pleasantly surprised with what they had on their inventory. I had a great feeling that I would find the perfect piece of wood for my table.
coffee table made out of camphor
This is where we found the perfect wood for our table.
coffee table made out of camphor
Then it was time to decide what kind of legs we were going to use. We struggled with this for a while. We could not find anything online which wasn’t hairpin legs or any other “cookie cutter” type legs. One day while shopping at a Bed Bath and Beyond, we saw this toilette brush and stainless-steel canister and thought, that is the look I WANT! We purchased three of them ($20 each). We loved the contrast of the stainless and raw wood so we  thought they would pair perfectly.
coffee table made out of camphor
We cut them, drilled a hole in the center, then used 3/8” hanger bolts to attach them to the table.
coffee table made out of camphor
The next step was to sand the wood. The wood was cut with a heavy duty saw, so it was pretty rough. We used 60 grain sandpaper first, then 120, and finally, 400. I wanted it to be quite smooth. Wow, the smell coming out of this camphor wood is incredible. Once sanded, we applied two coats of varnish allowing for it to dry between coats. We wanted to protect the wood and also, to accentuate the beautiful wood grain. You will notice that it darkened quite a lot when we applied the Rust-Oleum varnish, but once dried, it went back to its original color. I didn’t want shine or color; thus, I picked a clear flat varnish.
coffee table made out of camphor
coffee table made out of camphor
The natural fiber and holes, and the jagged edges, are what give this coffee table its character and personality. That’s why I fell in love with this particular piece.

coffee table made out of camphor
Well, this is the final result. I have to say that we were totally satisfied with the results and to be able to say “we built it” every time someone asks where we “bought” it.

For more pictures click  HERE

So, what do you think? Did you like it?Comments/suggestions welcomed.
coffee table made out of camphor
coffee table made out of camphor

DIY Tutoriales y mucho más

• Patricia

Where is the place that you bought the wood from please.

• Audrey

An hour and a half from Miami could be anywhere lol

mom going to google it .

But hopefully we can get an answer 🤔

• Jo Ellen

In what city did thou find such beautiful camphor slabs? My husband makes epoxy river run tables and we need a good source for wood slabs

• Jackie Angus

I understand how you attached the “legs” but nothing said about the part that was cut off? It looked very sharp on the end that would touch the floor, any hints on how or what you did? Thanks I love the look.

• Lola

I don’t know what they did to the legs, but I’m thinking you could buy some small clear tubing & slot it lengthwise down the middle & put this on the bottom of the legs. It could be secured with some good clear glue to keep it on.

• Kathy A

Great project!

• Donnette
    30 minutes ago

This table is perfect for your room. It was just what the room needed to make the room complete. Beautiful job!! Art!!