AMAZING CAMPHOR COFFEE TABLE

$350
1 Day

I felt in love with tables made from raw tree trunks the first time I laid eyes on one. And since it was love at first sight, I started searching on the web for a place to buy one. I was soon heartbroken when I found out the prices, between $3500 and upwards of $7000!!
So, I said to myself “I guess it is time for another DIY” and build my own table.

I found a place about an hour and a half from my house where they sell this type of lumber. I was so pleasantly surprised with what they had on their inventory. I had a great feeling that I would find the perfect piece of wood for my table.
This is where we found the perfect wood for our table.
Then it was time to decide what kind of legs we were going to use. We struggled with this for a while. We could not find anything online which wasn’t hairpin legs or any other “cookie cutter” type legs. One day while shopping at a Bed Bath and Beyond, we saw this toilette brush and stainless-steel canister and thought, that is the look I WANT! We purchased three of them ($20 each). We loved the contrast of the stainless and raw wood so we  thought they would pair perfectly.
We cut them, drilled a hole in the center, then used 3/8” hanger bolts to attach them to the table.
The next step was to sand the wood. The wood was cut with a heavy duty saw, so it was pretty rough. We used 60 grain sandpaper first, then 120, and finally, 400. I wanted it to be quite smooth. Wow, the smell coming out of this camphor wood is incredible. Once sanded, we applied two coats of varnish allowing for it to dry between coats. We wanted to protect the wood and also, to accentuate the beautiful wood grain. You will notice that it darkened quite a lot when we applied the Rust-Oleum varnish, but once dried, it went back to its original color. I didn’t want shine or color; thus, I picked a clear flat varnish.
The natural fiber and holes, and the jagged edges, are what give this coffee table its character and personality. That’s why I fell in love with this particular piece.

Well, this is the final result. I have to say that we were totally satisfied with the results and to be able to say “we built it” every time someone asks where we “bought” it.

For more pictures click  HERE

So, what do you think? Did you like it?Comments/suggestions welcomed.

Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
DIY Tutoriales y mucho más

• Karen Pullen
    Karen Pullen

Did you do anything to the sides of the wood to protect it from shedding bits and pieces? It's gorgeous; thanks for sharing!

• Juanita Martinez
    Juanita Martinez

I love your table, but it only has 3 legs instead of four?

• Tish
      Tish

Thank you... now I only have to say “What they said” instead of going into detail of why three is better than four!

• Sierra
    Sierra

Ideas please on possible sources for wood slices like yours?

• Comet
      Comet

Look on your local Craigslist, or some times on Facebook Marketplace, or ask any tree guys you may know to keep an eye out for an interesting old trunk and they can slab it with a chainsaw. We just had an old dead tree cut and salvaged the trunk for our son who is a fine wood worker!

• Pam
    Pam

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen on Hometalk!!!! I want it!

• Debra Mellentine
    Debra Mellentine

This is awesome. You did a beautiful piece of art. I love wood. I do pyrography and try to incorporate the imperfections into my burnings. Have one where the eye of the unicorn is not even burnt it was already there in the wood begging to be an eye.