Misty Gaines-Johnson
Misty Gaines-Johnson
  • Tutorial Team
  • Wittmann, AZ

Big’ol Sunflower Table!

$10
Advanced

Anyone that knows me or follows me on Hometalk or my Facebook page know that I love stain shading anything and everything I can. For this project I had a table top I had used the legs for on another project and a base that I had sitting around just waiting for a top. I feel it definitely leans towards the primitive style and I just love how it turned out. I have posted a few pictures and a couple videos of the process. Please excuse my haggard appearance in the video, it is 110 degrees in AZ and I am in the garage...
big ol sunflower table
I sanded the top using a 120 grit paper and did not go higher as I like how 120grit leaves the surface for shading a design. It’s not too ruff which makes the stain bleed but it is smooth enough that when I am finished I get a nice clear image and it seals perfect.
big ol sunflower table
Here is the table all sanded and ready for the image to be applied. I freehand the sunflower on top with a pencil, making sure to do it lightly. As I add the stain and finish the pencil marks disappear.
big ol sunflower table
I am all set up to start shading with the stain. Do not do this with a stain that has poly in it as it will not work and you will have a mess.
Here is the 1st video. Like I said excuse my apperance
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Here is the 2nd video, as you can tell I have never done a video tutorial, hahaha, but I think you will be able to see how this done.
big ol sunflower table
First layer of stain is done. I usually go over 2 times.
big ol sunflower table
Finished. I sealead with Varathane poly acrylic, 3 coats.
(These chairs do not go with this table)
big ol sunflower table
big ol sunflower table
big ol sunflower table
I love how it turned out! Here is my Facebook page
www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Blanca

Do you offer classes? Do u need to be an artist. I want to learn how to repair my furniture from water damage stains. Any suggestions where to lear how to strip and stain. Love your work.

• I am sorry, I am just seeing your question. I do not give classes but I learned from reading and research. I started practicing on scrap wood to see what worked best for me.

• Tom

Could you make matching chairs!?!

• Ava

Very Nice! Doesn't the cream paint have to go on first, then the accents in brown?