Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Big’ol Sunflower Table!

$10
Advanced

Anyone that knows me or follows me on Hometalk or my Facebook page know that I love stain shading anything and everything I can. For this project I had a table top I had used the legs for on another project and a base that I had sitting around just waiting for a top. I feel it definitely leans towards the primitive style and I just love how it turned out. I have posted a few pictures and a couple videos of
big ol sunflower table
I sanded the top using a 120 grit paper and did not go higher as I like how 120grit leaves the surface for shading a design. It’s not too ruff which makes the stain bleed but it is smooth enough that when I am finished I get a nice clear image and it seals perfect.
big ol sunflower table
Here is the table all sanded and ready for the image to be applied. I freehand the sunflower on top with a pencil, making sure to do it lightly. As I add the stain and finish the pencil marks disappear.
big ol sunflower table
I am all set up to start shading with the stain. Do not do this with a stain that has poly in it as it will not work and you will have a mess.
Here is the 1st video. Like I said excuse my apperance
Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Here is the 2nd video, as you can tell I have never done a video tutorial, hahaha, but I think you will be able to see how this done.
big ol sunflower table
First layer of stain is done. I usually go over 2 times.
big ol sunflower table
Finished. I sealead with Varathane poly acrylic, 3 coats.
(These chairs do not go with this table)
big ol sunflower table
big ol sunflower table
big ol sunflower table
I love how it turned out! Here is my Facebook page
www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Tina

How did you do the center of the flower?

• Karen Branton

I love this but have very low drawing skills. Are you a skilled artist or is this something a person with no perspective skills can do?

• Jewellmartin

You can buy patterns just like clothing patterns. Simplicity, Butterick and other companies have patterns in the fabric departments.

You can make your own patterns using an overhead projector and a transparency with a drawing on it. Use chalk to draw the flower into the table. Then follow the pattern you drew with stain and paint, and seal it for safety. Best wishes, Karen. ☺️

• Blanca

Do you offer classes? Do u need to be an artist. I want to learn how to repair my furniture from water damage stains. Any suggestions where to lear how to strip and stain. Love your work.

• Ins2313378

Beautiful work Girlfriend...!! Really good job!!!LOVE IT!!!

• Leanne Watts

I would LOVE to have a table like this! My home is in the country and my entire house is done in sunflowers. My skills are not what the once were though...