Goodbye Old Carpet, Hello Wood Floors!

$0

Our home is 100 years old and a few rooms were carpeted mysteries. I wanted to start working on the room that was going to become a guest bedroom. ...
Old dingy, wrinkled carpet. Ugly!
My daughter decided to pull a corner up and have a peek under the carpet and padding....
We were so excited that there were nice hardwood floors under that yucky carpet so we piled the furniture on one side of the room and started pulling the carpet and padding up.

If you have a box cutter it's easiest if you slice it into 4 foot wide sections, roll, and tie the bundles but you can just fold them up to cart it all out. But be careful not to slice the wood floor if it's nice like ours.

All around the edges of the room are tack strips which look like rulers with sharp tacks sticking upward. We found most were easy to pull up but some sections took a bit of work so use the claw of a hammer, or even a pry bar tapped with the hammer head to remove it.

Contractor trash bags are handy for putting these wicked sharp tack strips into.

(For those curious that's a bed frame she's working around because we didn't completely empty the room)
The padding didn't completely come up where there were nails so pliers come in handy.
This is a great job for kids and grandkids- pliers to pull nails and a container to put the nails and padding scraps in.

But look at that great hardwood floor that was hiding under the yucky carpet!  It was so much easier then we thought and didn't take long either.

• Judy Huntington

I just removed the last carpeting in our house! (While my husband was gone hunting for a couple of days)

The flooring underneath has stain and polyurethane around 18 inches next to walls. The center was covered with linoleum and under that the flooring doesn't look like there is much finish on it.

Can someone recommend a product to use on this floor to maintain it the way it is until I figure out the next step?

Thanks!

• Doublb

Scott’s Floor Restore. Clean floor really good and mop it on. I couldn’t believe the difference

• Debbie Raymond Mcleod

We have hard wood floors though out our house but when we took up the carpet to recarpet the floors were so squeaky we tried baby powder but it didn’t work would we have to pull up all the old wood if we put down new?

• Carol Larive

I pulled up the carpet in my hallway, but there’s a lot of glue,paper like stuff. How do I get it off?

• Martin

Nope, not going to take up the carpet in the condo. I know there's concrete underneath. Besides, as an older person it's less damaging to my health to fall on carpet than on hard floor.

• Carol Larive

I need some help removing the glue, paper stuff on my floor.