Goodbye Old Carpet, Hello Wood Floors!

$0

Our home is 100 years old and a few rooms were carpeted mysteries. I wanted to start working on the room that was going to become a guest bedroom. ...
goodbye old carpet hello wood floors
Old dingy, wrinkled carpet. Ugly!
goodbye old carpet hello wood floors
My daughter decided to pull a corner up and have a peek under the carpet and padding....
goodbye old carpet hello wood floors
We were so excited that there were nice hardwood floors under that yucky carpet so we piled the furniture on one side of the room and started pulling the carpet and padding up.

If you have a box cutter it's easiest if you slice it into 4 foot wide sections, roll, and tie the bundles but you can just fold them up to cart it all out. But be careful not to slice the wood floor if it's nice like ours.

goodbye old carpet hello wood floors
All around the edges of the room are tack strips which look like rulers with sharp tacks sticking upward. We found most were easy to pull up but some sections took a bit of work so use the claw of a hammer, or even a pry bar tapped with the hammer head to remove it.

Contractor trash bags are handy for putting these wicked sharp tack strips into.

(For those curious that's a bed frame she's working around because we didn't completely empty the room)
goodbye old carpet hello wood floors
The padding didn't completely come up where there were nails so pliers come in handy.
goodbye old carpet hello wood floors
This is a great job for kids and grandkids- pliers to pull nails and a container to put the nails and padding scraps in.

But look at that great hardwood floor that was hiding under the yucky carpet!  It was so much easier then we thought and didn't take long either.

• Sasha

Yes, I have the nastiest, ugliest carpet in my bedrooms. We have tried all kinds of cleaning. I Will Not walk on them barefoot. I know there isn't pretty hard wood under it, so husband says you are not going to pull it up. Well, I'm going to pull up a small piece, clean, sand and stain it when he goes off for the day to visit his mom. Anything I can do to the wood under it will be a huge plus. Maybe after he see's something better he will not fuss about pulling it all up.

• Its is eaiser to ask for forgivness than permission.