Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Design Your Own Wood Crate Coffee Table for Under $150

$150
Advanced

Do you like to add fresh and unique design elements to your home without spending a ton of money?

I do, too! Keep reading because your'e not going to believe this crate coffee table.

design your own wood crate coffee table for under 150

Who would have thought that these crates could make something so beautiful? With a little imagination and a little paint, you can create your own custom coffee table for under $150.

I had this beautiful wood top from a past project that I wanted to repurpose. It may look familiar to some of you. About two years ago, I found a desk sitting next to a dumpster that someone was throwing away. I snatched it up and did a complete makeover on the desk. You can see it  HERE. Not to brag, but it did turn out beautiful. Unfortunately, my movers broke it beyond repair, so I salvaged the top and stored it so I could use it again.

I started out with eight  crates that fit perfectly underneath the top. The idea was to create extra storage and create a custom piece of furniture.

My initial thought was to line them up side by side but the crates were longer than the top, so I positioned them to face out at the end. I’m glad it worked out that way because I like it better.

I was going for a distressed weathered look because the theme for the house is coastal/beachy.

The first step was to paint the crates white. I used flat white paint and thinned it down with water. I just did a heavy dry brush technique; I still wanted some of the natural wood coming through. Once it dried, I sanded it lightly with an  electric sander using  320 grit sandpaper

Then I took a  car sponge and randomly applied gray  wood stain in the same fashion.

To achieve an authentic weathered look, I used an  electric sander and  320 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded the crates.

There’s what they looked like when I was done. You are not going for perfection. You want them to look like they have been outside and weathered.

There was also a flat piece of plywood I painted to use for the bottom.   You will see it in the video.

Here’s what you will need to assemble the crates

Measure where you want the casters to go and use a pencil to mark the holes. Drill the holes so you can apply the T- Nuts.

Hammer the T-Nuts in the holes. Then screw the casters on.

Watch the step-by-step tutorial here:

Watch the tutorial

Now you have a beautiful one-of-a-kind coastal coffee table to showcase in your home.

If you would like to see more DIY projects, you can get my weekly  blog or follow me on  Pinterest.

Until next time. Happy Painting.

Cheryl Phan