DIY Denim Doorstop

$5

I love working with old jeans, the fabric is hardwearing, so versatile and free! - the perfect material for my DIY doorstop. With this version of the doorstop I have added a leather handle, using different tones of jean to add interest to the finished DIY. You can full the doorstop with lentils or rice to add the required weight.

diy denim doorstop

Cut out the following pieces from old jeans, and attach fusible fleece to the back of each piece of denim.

• Two main panels 10 by 8″
  • Two side panels 10 by 5 1/2″
  • Top 8 by 5 1/2″
  • Two pieces for the bottom 8 by 3″

Cut out a leather handle measuring 1 by 6".

diy denim doorstop

Baste to the middle of the top piece of denim to hold in place.

diy denim doorstop

Let’s sew the zip in next. Place the wrong side the zip to the right side of one of the bottom denim pieces and pin in place. Stitch to secure.

diy denim doorstop

Repeat for the second side of the zip and then press.

diy denim doorstop

Sew the doorstop together, starting with the top place right sides together so one side of the top is aligned with the top of one of your side pieces. Stitch a 5/8 seam allowance.

diy denim doorstop

Ensure each side panel is stitched to the top piece and the side piece next to it. It helps with the corners if you stop each seam 5/8″ before the end.

diy denim doorstop

Finally, sew in the base, ensure the zip is partially undone so you can turn right sides out.

diy denim doorstop

Lastly turn right side out.

My gorgeous DIY doorstop wended its way to Amsterdam to be filled with sand – I have not heard as yet how the sand has panned out, personally, I would be tempted to fill the doorstop with rice or lentils, less chance of spillage! I have to admit this doorstop is a vast improvement on my  first door stop for my sister-in-law ( I tried to be too clever and make it in a likeness of their block of flats).

diy denim doorstop
Vickymcreations

1 comment