Upcycling A Dated Coffee Table With Paint And Stencils

$50

Several years ago, a friend of mine introduced me to buffalo check decor. Now I love it too, and so does my youngest daughter. It's a perfect addition to farmhouse style.

My mom gave this second hand coffee table to my daughter when she moved into assisted living. I know oak lovers would not do a thing to it, but my daughter loves farmhouse decor, so I had a plan to give it a makeover.

After wiping the table down with hot soapy Dawn Dish Soap water and a rag, I applied two coats of Dixie Belle Paint Company's Boss. Boss is a great product for blocking stains and odors. I like to use it when I am painting a piece of furniture with white paint.

Next, I brushed on two coats of Dixie Belle Paint in Drop Cloth.

I then pulled out my very favorite stencil, Old Sign Stencils Medium Buffalo Checks.

I centered the stencil, on the diagonal, on top of the table and taped it down with blue painter's tape. It's very important to center the stencil so the partial checks on the edges of the table are uniform in size.

I used Dixie Belle Paint in Caviar to pounce on the checks.

My first stencil is complete.

I then carefully moved the stencil, up and down, and right and left, to cover the entire coffee table top. This gets easier the more you use this versatile stencil.

Remember, you can always paint over a boo boo, or sand off a very small stencil bleed with a folded corner of 220 grit sandpaper.

When my pattern was complete, I sealed the coffee table with Dixie Belle Gator Hide, a very water repellent poly product.

After I staged the coffee table in my den for photos, I passed the table onto my daughter. She loved it. See many more of my farmhouse projects in my daughter's townhouse HERE.

See a compilation of my buffalo check stencil projects (including this one) HERE.

29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Organized Clutter

• Joanie

Has your Grandmother seen her table since she gave it to you?

• Rory McBean

Great job! What a change!

Where did you get the pillow with the buffalo print of Minnesota? Did you make it? I'm originally from MN, and it drew my attention.

Thanks so much!

• Organized Clutter

Thanks you. I purchased the pillow with the gray plaid Minnesota applique at Mama's Happy in St Louis Park, Minnesota.

• Carole Oestreicher

I want to borrow your stencil?