Deck Water Feature

$450

Given that we were in the process of restoring our back deck what better time than now to install an awesome water feature.

Determine layout

On this deck all existing structure was maintained we simply redid the top deck boards post and rails. This little corner angle happened to be the perfect location for what I had in mind.

Test fit

Using a 4ft water trough I positioned between the two post to make sure it would fit as intended without taking up too much deck space. This sizing was perfect.

Making braces

Using a 2x6 I cut to the width between the two post. I laid the 2x6 on top of the post carefully aligning and marked the angles. Using a jigsaw I cut out each corner this allowed the brace to slide tightly between each post. I then made 2 additional exactly the same.

Drilling for plumbing

With the first brace in place I held the spillway in place to make sure the inlet fell in the center. Knowing the size of the tubing I then drilled a 1 1/2 inch hole.

Second brace

With the first brace now secure with hole drilled I visualized how far I wanted the overflow to be. To high left the potential to splash causing water loss and leaving the deck constantly wet. To low took away from the sound and effect. I believe I stuck around 16inch from top of trough. I secured second brace at this height. Then cut the notch out for the spillway.

Set spillway

Set spillway in notch cutout in previous step slightly tilt it forward to assist in water flow. Ising the third brace place on top to secure spillway in place with a little pressure. I then ran my tubing through the hole and connected the spillway to the pump placed in the bottom of the trough.

Test run

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

With everything in place and hooked up I added a little water into the trough and gave it a test run. This allowed me to make sure I had the proper size pump to feed the spillway. In my case for the 24inch spillway a 700 gallon per hour pump was plenty.

Back view

View from the back to show how simple the plumbing connections are. This will be covered using a galvanized metal for easy removal to drain water of make repairs if needed.

Close it up

With everything operating as it should I used a few fence picket boards to hide all of my plumbing. In doing so I created a cool little planter on the top although not very deep it adds a nice touch visually. Completed by staining with the deck and new railings. Electrical was ran from an existing outlet using an outdoor extension cord placed on a timer. ENJOY

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash

• Lucy Cruz

Where can I buy a water trough???

• Mike

I picked mine up at a local tractor supply store. They are pretty common in most farm stores. Rural king. Family farm and home. Not sure what you have in your area.

• Lucy Cruz

Yes I love this project. But where do I buy the water trough???

• Maria Lemos Parada
    2 hours ago

Do you have a list of materials? I'm trying to figure out what you used to attach your boards to the two posts.

• Mike
      Just now

I cut the 2x6 and notched them around the post then secured them using deck screws. After that I just used a finish nailer to secure the fence pickets to the 2x6