It took me two years to get up the gumption and energy to tackle this project because I knew what I would be facing.
Now, I am not going to mince words and you have to remember that I am a retired 60-year-old woman that does not work out at the gym, likes to eat doughnuts, have a beer or whiskey old fashion now and then (more now) and I swear a lot! In other words, I will not lie, but this project kicked my butt! After much swearing and asking myself why the heck I didn't just hire to have this ugly linoleum floor just replaced, I completed it and I am happy with the end result.
Following are the steps that I did for this DIY. Sit back, get your coffee, doughnut or perhaps a glass of wine and read the details and you will see why it took me two years to start this project.
Alright, onto the details and steps I followed. You do NOT want to skip these steps or YOU will be the one swearing.
Wear Gloves and a Mask for the prep work.
- CLEAN! CLEAN! CLEAN! Clean that darn floor with a good degreaser. Wearing gloves, I used TSP (trisodium phosphate) to scrub the hell out of the floor.
- Sand the floor! That's right, I said to sand the floor. You want your primer to "grab" the linoleum. I used my palm sander, with 180 grit sandpaper. Trust me, you don't want to hand sand your floor, a palm sander is much easier and it doesn't take that long.
- Vacuum and CLEAN the floor again with TSP. You are going to have dust and dirt from sanding that cannot be on the floor.