DIY Advent Calendar From a Shoe Organizer

I love a good count down to any holiday, so making an Advent calendar this year was a no-brainier. I found inspiration from Pottery Barn while browsing the holiday section. To me, using a 24 slot over the door foot-gear organizer made the most sense for my budget.
Here is the shoe organizer I started with.
Supplies
– 24 pocket over the door shoe rack – white
– Red wool
– Gold paint
– Spouncer
– Reusable number stencils
– Glue gun and glue sticks
First, I began making my Advent calendar by stenciling numbers in sequential order to the fronts of the 24 pockets on the sneaker holder. I used my spouncer, gold paint, and stencils to make the numerals.
Next, I cut 4 strips of the red wool about 5 inches wide that are for the outline of the calendar. There was no exact science to this, I just eyeballed it. The red wool I used was something I had inherited from my grandmother. This just seemed like such a wonderful project to use this special fabric for. It adds another layer of meaning and a pop of color to the Advent calendar. I used the hot glue gun to attach the fabric strips to the edges of the footwear organizer and trimmed the entire border with a rotatory cutter to give it clean straight edges.
Finally, it was time to hang it up and place all kinds of Christmas goodies for our little ones in the pockets. There are a few toys and candy dispersed throughout the days, but most of the pockets have a festive family activity for us to do.
I am really excited how this project turned out and our boys really love it too!
Elizabeth Joan Designs

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 38 comments
Next