Brooke @ Start at Home
Brooke @ Start at Home
  • Centerville, UT

DIY Dresser Turned Bench

When I picked up this chest I didn't realized it was in as bad shape as it was until I got it home. Once I assessed its damage it left me scratching my head. It was missing the top 2 drawers the second drawer down was missed the bottom and one of the sides, and the bottom drawer also needed a new bottom. It was missing a caster wheel and the top...well it was just plain nasty.
diy dresser turned bench, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
But this chest’s frame was in great shape, not to mention it is made out of Oak. So instead of throwing it out, I repurposed it!
First I pulled off the top. Once the top was off I pulled out the top drawer divider and guide and removed the 2nd drawer. Leave the 2nd drawers guide, the bench seat will go there.
After I had the dresser stripped down to the last drawer I flipped the old top over cut it down to size and used it for the bench seat. Once your seat is in, use wood filler, I like Elmers Wood Fill, and fill in all those holes and cracks. Once your wood fill is dry use a 150-grit sand paper, and sand the entire dresser until it is smooth. ..... To see the finishing touches please visit my blog!
And here is the final piece. A beautiful original bench with a working drawer!
Brooke @ Start at Home

• Denise Zonder

i went to your blog to find out more about how you transformed this piece. I have a dresser very much like the one you had and since it was my grandfathers i would like to repurpose it tso I can put it in the foyer for all to see. thanks