Flower Pot Fairy Garden

You know how when you're married, each spouse takes on the duties they are good at / like to do?
Well I do all of the decorating on the inside of the house, and Topher takes care of the landscaping outside of the house.
Yesterday, I decided to shake things up a little bit around here, and I crossed the line in the sand and ventured to outdoor land. Mind you ... I didn't venture further than the front steps, but I do what I can.
For this project, I needed to take a section out of the side of this pot, so I pulled-out my Dremel (loaded with a carbide cutting tip), covered-up with my facemask, and threw on my trusty 3M safety goggles.
Be warned ... although the cutting isn't difficult, terra cotta dust goes everywhere, so I found a place outside where I could work.
When I was finished, I replaced the cutting tip with a grinder tip and smoothed-out some of the sharper edges.
I found a big flower pot out in our garage.
Once I had my section removed, I was ready to fill the pot with soil.
I placed a coffee filter along the bottom of the pot to allow the water to adequately drain without losing any soil, and then I simply added the dirt.
I filled-in my pot with potting soil and found a place for the removed section of terra cotta.
Next, I placed moss all over the surface and around the half-buried section.
I then added miniature gnome/fairy items that I picked-up at Michaels to build my village.
I thought it turned out super cute, and my little Fairy Garden will be there to greet anyone who comes up to the door!
To see the finished project click on the link down below!

Shanna Gilbert

• Smk1442994

Adorable !!

• Natalie

Terra cotta pots often get broken or chipped anyway, and that's an awesome idea of what could be done with such pots instead of throwing them away. I use mine in flowerbeds so that the chipped parts don't show much, but this is way better!