Cynthia - Clockworkinteriors
Cynthia - Clockworkinteriors
  • Woodinville, WA

Garage Sale Grill Cart Makeover - A Real Trash to Treasure!

For the first time ever, Hubby actually encouraged me to go garage saleing -- he wanted a grill cart, but didn't want to pay retail prices -- I gladly accepted the challenge!
grill cart makeover, chalk paint, outdoor furniture, painted furniture
And would you believe the next garage sale I visited I found this "beauty"? I overpaid considering the bad condition it was in, but it was the perfect size, and I knew I could make it amazing.
First thing I did was clean it (twice) with TSP Substitute and glued and clamped the wobbley bits. I then stripped the top and gave it two coats of Varathane STAIN + POLY in Kona. I also filled in the original hardware hole. The cart was then given two coats of homemade chalk paint -- (Two TBSP of Plaster of Paris mixed up with 3 TBSP of water; once it has a creamy consistency add it to the paint and mix well). The addition of the Plaster of Paris will help the paint adhere to the cart's slick surface.
On the D Lawless Hardware website I found the perfect hardware -- I ordered two STEEL BAR PULLS (160mm) for the sides and one STEEL BAR PULL (96mm) for the drawer pull. With the addition of a couple S hooks from HD, they keep Hubby's grilling utensils at the ready.
I added another garage sale find (an AMAZING vintage Pepsi crate) to the bottom shelf of the cart to hold the grill's wood chips because it is actually a "smoker".
I think this trash to treasure project was a complete success. Hubby loves his new grill cart, but especially loves the price!
Feel free to check out the website for more detailed instructions and additional pictures! http://www.clockworkinteriors.com/?p=2103

Cynthia - Clockworkinteriors

• Lynda Wolfertz

This is exactly what I am looking for, but my grill cart will need to be left outside. Will the paint you used allow me to leave it outside? If not, do you have any suggestions? I've been thinking about doing this for a while!

• Marilyn Metz

How much paint will this plaster of Paris handle?

• Lonnie

I do have a question but first I have to tell you, your grill table is so beautiful and functional. It has inspired me to finally do something with a similar table I have. I can't get over the sheen on top. Now, this is a totally off the wall question, so forgive me please. I would love to know what the cursive font is called that you used in the picture above. It is so similar to my handwriting; it's scary. Again - great job on that cart!

• Lonnie

Wow, my house was in Newport (in apartment now). Did you know they built a bigger and better bridge into Hastings - two lanes on each side now. It's great. Thanks for the info. I've thought about looking into picmonkey.com before.

• Pat

What a great great job. It's awesome. Bet hubby is was happy.

• Joanie

I really like your Grill cart and Food Prep......I wish I had one.....we do A LOT of smokin' with meats outside and this would be wonderful , but my grill can't be kept on the deck, it has to be in the yard. Hummmmmm?????