How To Build a Rain Barrel
Wet & Forget
Wet & Forget
  • Elgin, IL

Water Your Garden, Save Money and Live Green with a Rain Barrel!

We all need to water our lawns and gardens sometimes to keep them green and healthy, especially during the dry summer we're experiencing this year. But if you just reach for the garden hose when your lawn and garden are thirsty, you're spending more on your water bill than you need to. Many of your neighbors use rain barrels as an inexpensive, environmentally-friendly way to keep their plants healthy. Read
Painted Rain Barrels
Painted Rain Barrels
Rain Barrel Setup
Rain Barrel Setup
Wet & Forget

• Phillipcardjr

I really like the the artwork on the barrels, nice work. My mother collects water in this kind of barrel as well,only with an open top, The closed top I think would be better for insect control. What about sediment buildup?

• Valerie

@Phillipcardjr Mine all have closed tops, but I have taken the precaution of putting some shade cloth in the gutter at the point where it enters the down-pipe. This has helped enormously with sediment control. I would suggest that she puts a lid on it. You could use a piece of wood, and drill a hole (using a hole-saw) for the down-pipe.

• Deborah Nemitz

I recently had 2 one hundred gallon rain barrels installed with new gutters.
    I was unaware that the barrels needed to be elevated in order to get any flow from them other than a trickle.
    Any suggestions?

• Valerie

Your instructions are fantastic! This is definitely on my 'to do' list!

• Kathy Bitzan

How creative. It would be fun just to have one in the yard. Someone in Oregon would freak if your collect water from the sky. LOl or build a lake.