From Weathered to Coastal Patio Table

$30

I've had this old table on my patio of a couple of years and it had become very weathered even after oiling it with Liquid Gold. It just was not looking good and I didn't want it ruined further. I have become addicted to Hometalk and read about using Unicorn Spit (gel paint with glaze) in one of the posts and thought that would be just the thing to freshen up my old table. So....as part of here I go.
Original table after I began sanding it
I took the old table and used an electric hand sander to smooth it out and take off as much of the dark finish as possible.
Next I took my Unicorn Spit colors and squiggled them on the table and slid my hand across the table to blend in the paint in one and then the other direction. To see this technique, and others, go to unicornspit.com where you can view videos and purchase the product.
Here is the table with the paint applied but it was a little subdued for me. I put a couple of coats of Tung Oil on it next...
The Tung Oil definitely enhanced the colors but the finish was just not what I wanted so I took some semi-gloss polyurethane and put a couple of coats over the Tung Oil. Now I had the more vibrant finish I was looking for.
I added a few coastal decorations....
and now have a unique piece that fits my patio perfectly. This project was inexpensive and fairly easy to do--and I feel great about saving my old, weathered table.

• Cindy bumgarner

What colors of paint did you use in this project? Very nice
  • Suzanne

Can you please tell us the colors you used. Also, did you have to use a primer? This is the very 1st time I been so pumped after reading a post. I have to do this immediately on a weathered chair I have in FL. Thank You.
    • Terry

Hi Suzanne. I used the unicorn spit green, teal, blue and purple. The white i used was a 99 cent small bottle of acrylic paint that almost ruined the project as it didnt blend well with the unicornspit. They have a white color too.i was thrilled with this project too.
  • Kelleysdiy

Gorgeous! How many colors did you use?

• Terry

I answered this in the question above you. I think it was four, teal, purple, green were UnicornSpit and the white was just white from those tiny bottles you can get at any craft store or walmart.