From Weathered to Coastal Patio Table

$30
I've had this old table on my patio of a couple of years and it had become very weathered even after oiling it with Liquid Gold. It just was not looking good and I didn't want it ruined further. I have become addicted to Hometalk and read about using Unicorn Spit (gel paint with glaze) in one of the posts and thought that would be just the thing to freshen up my old table. So....as part of here I go.
Original table after I began sanding it
I took the old table and used an electric hand sander to smooth it out and take off as much of the dark finish as possible.
Next I took my Unicorn Spit colors and squiggled them on the table and slid my hand across the table to blend in the paint in one and then the other direction. To see this technique, and others, go to unicornspit.com where you can view videos and purchase the product.
Here is the table with the paint applied but it was a little subdued for me. I put a couple of coats of Tung Oil on it next...
The Tung Oil definitely enhanced the colors but the finish was just not what I wanted so I took some semi-gloss polyurethane and put a couple of coats over the Tung Oil. Now I had the more vibrant finish I was looking for.
I added a few coastal decorations....
and now have a unique piece that fits my patio perfectly. This project was inexpensive and fairly easy to do--and I feel great about saving my old, weathered table.

Questions on this post

Your question...
  3 questions
  • Cindy bumgarner Cindy bumgarner on Jun 19, 2017
    What colors of paint did you use in this project? Very nice
  • Suzanne Suzanne on Aug 18, 2017
    Can you please tell us the colors you used. Also, did you have to use a primer? This is the very 1st time I been so pumped after reading a post. I have to do this immediately on a weathered chair I have in FL. Thank You.
  • Linda kelley Linda kelley on Aug 10, 2018

Gorgeous! How many colors did you use?

Comments

2 of 71 comments
  • Terry Terry on Mar 27, 2020

If you want the effect that you see, you'll use what I discussed in the post. Otherwise, you can use what you want, but it won't look the same. Please read the post for details.

• Lisa Holinko-Wark Lisa Holinko-Wark on May 22, 2021

Kudos for your ambition. I see many projects and don’t try them.

Next