Patti Biggar
Patti Biggar
  • Alexandria, MN
Asked on Feb 27, 2013

Painting Kitchen cupboards

Fabulous Finishes by MichellePatti BiggarHamtil Construction LLC
+14

We are doing some remodeling in the kitchen and I am leaning towards wanting to paint our oak stained varnished cupboards from the 70's. I just like the crispness of paint. But do I have to sand it all like they say, and then prime it all first? I am guessing the answer is yes, but just checking.... :)
  • Answer is not yes, its yup. :) The prep is the most important part of the job. Doing this correctly will make or break your project. The importance of priming can not be over stated. It provides several benefits. It helps bind the finish paint to the substrate. It fills voids and creates a smooth surface for the finish coat. If done correctly and that does take time, the results will be something you will be really proud of and want to show off.

• Patti Biggar

What about this Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint I've been investigating. She puts it on furniture that is stained and varnished without any prep. She says it works on concrete, glass, metal, anything without priming. She created this paint. i watched her on her website and was very impressed. I like the "old" look so this might be an option. But has anyone tried it on cupboards?

• Yair Spolter

Patti, you can gets lots of information about using @UNFOLDED Chalk Paint right here: http://www.hometalk.com/search?filter=annie+sloan+cupboards

• ASCP is a great product for a more rustic or vintage look with absolutely NO prep! Your first post said you like the "crispness" of paint, but the second post said you like the "old" look. If in fact you are going for clean and "crisp", a more perfect new looking finish, then you need to sand and use a good primer like KILZ. We have painted many kitchens, and this method will not only give you a smoother finish, but it will last better. However, if you hate the thought of all that extra work and do really like the vintage look, chalk paint will be the easiest product to use. Since you have watched Annie paint, you know there are one or two wax applications over the paint as well as light sanding if you want a more distressed look. What you may not know is that you will have to apply a poly top coat for your cabinet finish to withstand the heat, water and high traffic in your kitchen. I am currently doing this in my own kitchen. Let me know what you decide and post before and after pics so we can celebrate your new look!

• Patti, just posted photos of my kitchen cabinets.

• I am getting ready to do a cabinet job that will be going from white to dark brown. I am using chalk paint as my first coat to serve as both a primer and color coat. I will still make sure to clean the cabinets very well first. Since I will be glazing the cabinets, my second coat is a high quality semi-gloss paint. After glazing I will seal with a professional sealer. If you are not glazing you can use two coats of the chalk paint. Since you are painting a light color, I would recommend using Benjamin Moore Stays Clear for your sealer. It is strong enough for kitchen cabinets and will not yellow the finish.

• Lisa Theophilus

I'm taking old dark oak bedroom furniture and want to go with the shabby chic look. Any recommendations?

• Patti Biggar

Lisa, you really should check out Annie Sloan's website. She paints over furniture with no prep and shows how to get that shabby chic or french style look. See Yair S. comment above where he references her site. Good luck!

• Organized Clutter

I haven't sold my husband on painting our cupboards yet. I love painted cupboards.

• Better not sell your husband.

• Cat

I know what you mean, my husband would Never paint Any Wood... Never Ever! So I have to decorate around all of our antique or stained wood... Not always easy, just creative.

• Patti Biggar

Woodbridge: that's funny!! Oh by the way, my husband is changing his mind on painting the oak cupboards! He is now talking like that would look cool with new hardware! But first things first he says. Countertop installed, flooring, new window...then the painting. That might be by this summer! yippee!

• That is because he hear rumors that someone was selling their husband! See it does not take that much to change our minds.

• Patti, if you have a Habitat Reuse store or something similar near you, go get some cheap doors that are similar to yours to try out what you want to do. This can also help "sell" a husband who doesn't want to paint wood. My husband was the same way, but after having seen some of the projects I've completed he is much more open to the idea.

• Hamtil Construction LLC

Chalk Paint? Well, I learned something new on Hometalk today.. We always do light sand/ degloss/ prep/ prime as needed when painting over stained surfaces. This chalk paint sounds pretty interesting.

• Patti Biggar

I have been researching this chalk paint more and more and am in contact with a distributor. Here is what they said to my inquiries about using it on kitchen cabinets...and the cost ! "The paint is sold in quarts only for$38.95 and cover about 150 sq feet. The wax is $27.50. ChalkPaint works great for kitchen cabinets! It is a very durable finish when2-3 coats of the wax is applied over top. No sanding or primingis usually required but you do want to make sure the cabinetsare clean first. On areas like the silverware drawer or other areas thatreceive a lot of use maybe sand a bit. You would use at least 2 coats ofpaint and then 2-3 coats of wax, allowing each coat to dry 24 hours before thenext coat." If I do this, I think I would use a regular good quality paint on the insides of the cupboards because of the cost. But if it saves me time and work on the outside with no sanding, I am open to the cost of $38.95 a quart! Anybody ever see it cheaper than that?

• I may be wrong, but I think the Annie Sloan paint is like buying an ipod. Distributors have to charge the regular retail price.