A Trash Can Made From Trash

A few weeks ago I made a little woven basket for a desk organizer from some old magazine pages and I kind of got hooked on the process. So I decided to try and make some bigger baskets to organize other craft supplies and projects but the thing I really needed was a small trash can.
It takes a lot of rolled tubes. If I remember correctly there are at least two magazines in each of these projects. For the rectangular shapes I wove the sides and the bottoms of the baskets but I wanted an oval shape for the trash can so I started with a piece of cardboard and glued the paper tubes around the bottom.
Then I just started weaving in a 1 X 1 pattern around and around until it was the height that I wanted. Because the paper tubes are a little stiff and want to push apart I used a lot of hot glue to secure the weave in place as I was working.
I wasn't sure how the finish the top but then I decided just to roll the excess paper down to the top rim and secure it in place with more hot glue.
It worked really well and a plastic grocery bag fits over the lip of my new trashsy trash can.
Like I said before I am kind of addicted so I made this rectangular basket in a 1 X 2 weave and then added a liner made from an empty grain bag.
For this basket I experimented with adding some handles..
I still have a lot of magazines left and I am wondering what else I can make from them.

15 Perfectly Round Tables
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• Barb
    Barb

When rolling the pages do you start at a corner? Also, is each page roll torn from the magazine or is each page the result of removing all the staples first?

• Frances Woodhamwallace
    Frances Woodhamwallace

How do you roll the paper into a tube?

• Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab
      Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

I think that I use the glue sticks that go in my hot glue gun to wrap the paper around but you could also use a pencil. Thanks for your question.

• Debbie Rose
    Debbie Rose

How sturdy was the piece of cardboard you used for the bottom? Was it very thick?Could you post a video of this, please?

• Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab
      Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your question. The bottom piece is just one layer of corrugated cardboard. You could make it thicker if you wanted. Thanks again.

• Joanie
    Joanie

My M.I.Law was my inspiration to crafts.......EVERYTHING......and this was one of them! Thanks for the inspiration and memory!

• Pat
    Pat

I made a necklace from rolled up magazine paper. Small strips were cut into a long triangle and rolled onto a small piece of dowel rod so the string could be inserted down through the middle, roll wide end to the pointy end which gave it a bead look. Don’t remember how I fastened it but with glue I am sure. String with a chain or yarn , thread add clasp and wear. I guess we used mod podge to stiffen the paper and hive it shine don’t remember. Bet there is a “YouTube “ video out there. They are cute.