Industrial Pot Rack - Creative "Pan-handling"

When the plan to hang pendant lights fell through we searched for a pot rack to no avail. Nothing worked, none of the ones in the store were the right size, color, shape or price. I suppose when you are a DIY'er if the most passionate sort, nothing but what you picture in your mind will work. So my DH made me one - not only did it fit the bill, but it surpassed my expectations (see pic below).
It is a good thing when your project derails and you end up with something you like even better than you imagined. DIY isn't just about saving money. The best part is getting something that fits just right and is different than what you normally see in other people's homes.
The picture below shows the only rack that even came close to what I wanted. Ugh. No way.
The ones in the store would not allow me to pop something up there when the lights didn't work out, even though my DH was kind enough to offer to help me find one (long story about the pendent lights on the blog if you're interested). It was a disaster! The rack was too low, didn't work with the light receptacle...and all the others were the same. Does everyone but me have high ceilings in their kitchen?
To DIY a pot rack meant my DH had to find a way to enter my mind's eye and create just the right rack to fit over my island. It had to sit high enough that I would be able to see my guests as we worked on the meal but low enough that I could reach the pots and be able to unhook them.
We stared by looking for the metal rack part that would hold the hooks for the pots and pans. We found them in the closet materials section.
He made a frame to hold the closet racks, and I spray painted the wood frame. We hung it with turnbuckles (I don't like chains), with hooks and eyes, and decorated the corners with angle clips to add to the industrial look.
It's a good thing when your DIY project turns out to be easy! I'm all about easy. Cheap helps too.
We found just the right light kit at Lowes - the lights give off a great amount of light which is perfect for over the island.
I didn't want to pay the long price for the typical hooks, so I used S hooks and cut curtain rings. If you get creative you can end up with a one-of-a-kind piece of decor and it will fit your needs (and wants).
Since several of my daughters cook in my kitchen quite often, it will be so convenient to have everything within reach. How do you handle your pans?
To hang pots and pans keeps them from being stacked, leading to scratches. Plus, they are pretty, so why not put them out?
To be able to walk into a room and smile because you are so pleased with how it looks and functions is priceless. Plus it doesn't hurt when someone else admires your project too. :)
To see more pictures and details on the project - and read the story of the failed pendant light plan, visit Love My DIY Home at the address below:

• Painters Touch Spray Paint  (Walmart)
  • Closet Racks  (Menards)

23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Val Frania {Love My DIY Home}

• Ashley
    Ashley

In one photo is shows the hooks that you cut but in the finished product pictures it shows the ‘S’ type curtain hooks. So technically, the hooks you show that you cut aren’t what you actually used for the pots and pans?? Correct?

• Destini
    Destini

Don't the pans block the light on the island?

• Yes, somewhat, but it works for me because I already have a bunch of lighting all around in my kitchen when needed. For me, it’s more for mood lighting at night. It. Ames my kitchen look so inviting when only those are on.

• Wanda Barnes
    Wanda Barnes

I love it!!! What does the picture in your kitchen window say? What a great idea!!!!

• Kathy
    Kathy

I kept the racks from my oven that we replaced and I now think I'm going to use them for this project, yours turned out great. Wish me luck

• Jace Jones
    Jace Jones

IKEA has s hooks that you can use for this. They will hold heavy pans w/o bending, they are also very inexpensive! I definitely am going to do this. It fits for my farmhouse look.