Terry
Terry
  • Jupiter, FL

Easy Patio Table

$120

Here's a way to easily create an inexpensive side table for your patio using an odd assortment of natural and household items.

easy patio table

I came across two of these cool planters at a farmer's market for $35 each. They are big enough to be side tables next to my patio couch so I figured "why not?" I gathered some items I knew I would need and got started.

easy patio table

I purchased a pizza pan at Walmart for $3.50 and gathered some shells at the beach along with some sand. I thought about using a pot saucer in place of the pizza pan, but it would have been much more expensive--you'll see the pan's use in a minute.

easy patio table

I did have to pay to have two pieces of tempered glass cut, but I've also seen pieces of glass at thrift stores around town. Because I had two pot/tables, I wanted them to match therefore the extra expense.

To keep the pot from being heavy with sand, I filled it with peanuts I got from a local shipping store and some I had saved. This step turns out not to be necessary, but I include it.

easy patio table

I put the pizza pan (or a terracotta pot saucer would work too) in the top of the pot. Because the sides were curved, the pizza pan stayed nicely in place, but a bead of silicone caulking would be helpful to keep the pan in place if your pot's top is not curved and keep the sand from sifting through the small hole between the pan and the side of the pot. 3/17/19 Update: I definitely recommend putting the caulking around the outside of the pizza pan to keep the sand in place. I had to take this table apart when I painted this pot (see below) so I caulked it and it makes it easy to move the pot around without disturbing the sand and having it go over the edge of the pan.

easy patio table

Next, I poured in my sand...

easy patio table

...and spread it around...

easy patio table

...then added shells for a coastal look. Anything can be used for decoration depending on your decor.

easy patio table

The final step is to place the glass on the pot. I used three of those little clear rubber table protectors used under glass tops to keep the glass from scrapping on the pot. And there you have it...

easy patio table

...the perfect addition to my outdoor space.

easy patio table

3/17/19 Update. I got tired of the orange pot with my greige patio set and travertine tile so I painted the pot a grey-beige color and then waxed just the high relief items (fish seahorses, etc.). While it's hard to see the wax in this picture, I really like the table much better now.

easy patio table

The updated table....

• Gay Van Nostrand

I love this idea!! I have the pots & the shells, all I need is sand and the glass top!! Any suggestions where to find a good glass top?

• Mimi

What kind of paint did you use? Exactly what I’m looking for. So cute!

• Mimi

Thanks for getting back to me. I have an Ace right in my neighborhood! Will do this project as soon as it warms up a bit.

Thanks again.

• SueHen

I did something very similar last summer. Had a round piece of heavy, beveled glass left from an outdoor table which broke. First, measured the width of the glass, noticed a local home improvement store had a sale on fiberglass pots. Took my measuring tape with me, found a perfect pot, color that matched my outside decor and top opening that was perfect size for glass. Got home, glass fit perfectly into pot! Glued the glass in and used it right away. I'd like to try the seashells and sand or other decor under the glass. Wonder if I can get the glass out now, lol?