The Secret is Out! How to Stencil a Tile Floor

$50
1 Day

The biggest home decorating secret is out! This is what EVERYONE has been asking about (and raving about!)... In order to avoid the hassle of ripping out existing floor and the high cost of real tiles, you CAN achieve a similar look by painting your tile floors that only LOOK expensive. Get in with the inside scoop and check out how YOU can create paint directly over your tile floor to make it look pretty and patterned. Watch the video and follow the instructions below to learn how you can create your own faux aged blue glazed tiled floor in 10 easy steps using Tile Stencils from Royal Design Studio:
Supplies:
  • Renaissance Tile Stencil Set A and Renaissance Tile Stencil Set B (size Large 12” x 12”)
  • 2” Royal Stencil Brush, 1/2” Royal Stencil Brush, and 3/8” Royal Stencil Brush
  • Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® in Old White
  • Zinsser’s Bulls Eye 1-2-3
  • Water-based polyurethane top coat such as Minwax® Satin Polycyclic Protective Finish
  • Folk Art Midnight Blue and French Blue Acrylic Paints
  • Folk Art Paint Extender
  • TSP Substitute and scrubbing pad
  • Small painting brush, ¼” nap roller, foam roller, and trays
  • Paper towels, contractors paper, and painter’s tape
Step 1: Time to prep your surface! Dilute 1 part TSP substitute with 1 part water. Use a scrubbing pad to clean the tile floor with this mixture. Then remove any residue of the cleaning mixture by rinsing the floor with warm water.
Step 2: Prime your tile floor with Zinnsers Bulls Eye 1-2-3 using a foam roller and the grout lines using a paint brush. After applying the primer over the entire tile floor, allow it to dry for about 2 hours. Then apply a second coat. Allow to dry.
Step 3: Apply 2 coats of Chalk Paint® over the entire tile floor using a foam roller and paint brush. Allow each coat to dry.
Step 4: Create 2 mixes. Mix the French Blue acrylic paint with paint extender and then mix the Midnight Blue acrylic paint with paint extender.
Step 5: Place and secure one of the Renaissance Tile Stencils onto one of your floor tiles with painter’s tape. Load a 2” stencil brush with the French Blue acrylic paint mix and offload the excess paint onto a paper towel.
Step 6: Use varying pressure to paint the tile stencil design. This will achieve a distressed and glazed tile look.
Step 7: Load the 3/8” and 1/2” stencil brushes with the Midnight Blue acrylic paint mix and offload the excess paint onto a paper towel. Use these smaller stencil brushes for better control when painting the smaller stencil design elements.
Step 8: Place and secure a different Renaissance Tile Stencil over the next floor tile. Repeat Steps 5 through 7. Use different tile stencils for each floor tile. Whether you use a random or preset order… the choice is yours! Repeat this step until the entire tile floor is stenciled.
Step 9: To finish stenciling the areas near a wall, make sure to protect and mask off the wall or baseboard with painter’s tape. Place and secure your tile stencil on the center of the tile near the wall with painter’s tape. Use your free hand to push the stencil into the corner between the floor and the wall. You may use a small paint brush and Old White Chalk Paint® to touch up any areas.

• Tile Stencils from Royal Design Studio  (https://www.royaldesignstudio.com/collections/tile-stencils)
  • Supplies List  (https://www.royaldesignstudio.com/blogs/stenciling-tips/how-to-stencil-a-tile-floor)

To see more: http://www.royaldesignstudio.com

• Vicki Shafer

That's it? No protective top coat? What keeps the paint from chipping off the floor or wearing off with foot traffic?
    • All23813245

the supply list has a top coat listed. The 5th item on the list is a minwax top protective coat.
    • Amy

The video showed the woman applying top coat as the final step in the process.
    • Cindy Werner Schneider

Can the same think be done on vinyl flooring. We have a vinyl floor that looks like slate tiles.
    • Kimberly Ann Kathleen

Same question as Cindy Werner Schneide!!
    • Royal Design Studio

Yes we sealed it! Make sure to watch the video for more info :) We also have video tutorials & stencils & supplies to show how to stencil on walls and on vinyl/laminate on our website Royal Design Studio.
  • Michelle Gamee

Awesome. Can you clean the floor with normal floor cleaner?
  • Barbara williams

Can epoxy be used as a top coat due to high traffic areas?
  • Renee Carter

Isn't this floor very slippery now?
  • Marilyn Cappadona Curson

Is this a ceramic tile floor?
  • Amy

Can I do this on laminate?
    • Royal Design Studio

Yes! We also have video tutorials to show how to stencil on walls and on vinyl/laminate on our website Royal Design Studio.
  • Michelle Perram

I recently did something similar in my guest bathroom. I painted and stenciled over linoleum with indoor/outdoor floor & porch paint. I had a lot of people/experts express a lot of doubt about the durability even with the paint I chose. In addition this is a guest bathroom so it doesn't get the traffic of our other bathroom. How do you think the chalk paint will hold up?
    • Royal Design Studio

Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan, primer, and sealant are great for floor tiles and will be durable. Depending on your tile, we recommend sanding it beforehand too.
  • Eileen

Beautiful, how does it stand up to the rigors of chair legs scratching and traffic, etc?
  • Jjqq

Great Job? However, not a one day project--right? All the different stencils with two colors on each one--and the drying times between base coat and top coat (four hours)--I'm going to try this by myself, but don't think anyway I could do it in one day. What is your secret?
    • Royal Design Studio

You can definitely do it in a day. However you can make it longer if you wish and come back between coats.
  • Jody Price

Can you do this to tiles surrounding your tub/shower?
  • Elaine

You did a lovely job and I'm a sucker for blues in decor! My only thought is: does this stand up well to foot traffic, chairs being pulled out from the table, weekly floor washing and so on and so on?
    • Royal Design Studio

It will last for years and years with foot traffic thanks to sealing it - check out the video for info!
  • P Donnice Sorrell

Could you use this same stuff to do a backsplash ? Our kitchen has just a plain off white , venure type back . I rent so I can't do a total redo , just curious if this would work ? Thanks !
  • Laura Chapman

Look gorgeous but how do you keep the paint from chipping off the tiles?
  • Terry

Love the results but don't think I would have the patience to do this. It looks like a bigger job than you stated. Also, after all that work, wouldn't you need to seal it? Especially if in a bathroom? I surely wouldn't want it to wear off after all that beautiful work. Good job!
    • RaeRae

Watch the video...she used a Minwax Sealer for protective top coat!
    • Royal Design Studio

It's a very small amount of time and effort compared to ripping out and installing new tile. And yep you're correct - we sealed it!
  • 10702694

But if you mop often, how fast will the stenciled paint wear away?
  • Tracy Byers

Could this be done on a kitchen lamited wall? (aka like a splash back) ?
    • Royal Design Studio

• Did you have any trouble filling the grout lines between the tiles?
  • Pauliegirl1

Has anyone tried this on a 'vinyl' floor? You know. that yucky stuff that all builders used in the 90's???
    • Royal Design Studio

Yes we have! Check out our website Royal Design Studio for a video tutorial on how to stencil on vinyl/laminate/etc.
  • Sherrie

Can you tell me where you purchased the Renaissance Tile Stencil Set A and Renaissance Tile Stencil Set B (size Large 12” x 12”)? You say the project cost you $50, however on the Royal Design Studio website, the stencils are $32.95 each and that doesn't even begin to include the paint, a quart of Annie Sloan Old White is $38.95. Thanks!
  • Becky Pete

What is TSP that you mixed with water to wash floor tiles?
  • Christie

What do you clean the floor with after it is stenciled. I was thinking of doing this for a backsplash, but t would need a sealer that is waterproof for washing off the splatters, etc.
  • Mel Kay

I would love to learn more about the wear on the floor after you do this? We have a few vacation properties and the tile is in perfect shape just ulgy. How many coats of sealer does it take to hold up. What do you clean the floors with after?
    • Royal Design Studio

Stenciled floors will hold up for years and years if you follow the tutorial above. You can also use Floor Paints. You may need to sand beforehand depending on your tile. And they can be cleaned normally with soap and water.
  • Antonia_bishop

Can this be done in a heated floor?
  • Judy Creigh

do you think this could be done on vinyl tiles
    • Royal Design Studio

Yes! Check out our website Royal Design Studio Stencils - we have a tutorial on how to stencil on vinyl too.
  • Angie Stokes Venson

After painted and sealed, what is the future cleaning process of the floor?
  • Elly Moloney

How well does this hold up under heavy traffic?

• Ami Ramsey

How well would this hold up under heavy foot traffic? Would it need to be resealed after some time? Also, what's the cleaning process after sealing?
    • Royal Design Studio

It will hold up for years and years with foot traffic :) Please see the instructions for the sealant that you want to use for care.
  • Katherine Anne

Beautiful!!!! Thank you for the thorough tutorial! It's actually the first one I didn't feel like was overwhelming. Your floor looks fantastic I do have one question though, how do you clean it and what is the durability with walking on it and with cleaning?
    • Royal Design Studio

This stenciled floor is so durable and will last for years and years with normal cleaning and foot traffic.
  • Vanessa

This is beautiful. I would love to do something like this, but all our tile in our home is textured, not smooth. I'm guessing stenciling would not be recommended in this case?
    • Royal Design Studio

We would recommend sanding it down before stenciling. Stenciling works best on smooth surfaces without texture, as well as enough grip for the paint to adhere - so sanding is a must :)
  • Michael Shelton

can you paint and stynsil over laynolium tile?
    • Royal Design Studio

Yes! Check out our website Royal Design Studio Stencils to watch a video tutorial on how to stencil linoleum floors :)
  • Mun27123799

Beautiful result. Well done. The floor I'm considering using a stencil on is a painted plywood floor in a covered porch. Do you think that would work? Curious. Nancy
  • Denise Perry Shalifoe

Do you put a sealant over the top of the stenciled paint to keep it from wearing off? I think this would be beautiful in our bathroom.
  • Fsh13174705

Can this be done on vinyl tile?

• Royal Design Studio

Yes you can use our stencils on vinyl floors too! Check out our website Royal Design Studio Stencils and click How To Stencil to see the video tutorial :)
  • Deborah

Are there different paterns & colors ?
    • Royal Design Studio

Yes! Check out our Royal Design Studio Website to see hundreds of our stencil designs that can be painted in any colors you want!
  • Rosemary

if I only do the paint would it wash away when I mop
  • Merrilee Morrison-Cotter

Will it work on cement?
  • Ann

i have a very dark slate floor in my kitchen. Could it be painted like you do a concrete porch? THank you.
  • Leanne Matthews

How long does this last?
    • Dominique Nicole Hansell

Exactly what I was thinking. Do you think you'd have to freshen up the top coat every few months? Use a very gentle cleaner? It would suck to put in all that time just to see it destroyed.
  • Jenny Snyder-Mullins

What about cleaning the floor? So cool !!
  • Tracy Rogers

How well does it hold up to wear and tear?? Can this be done on a high traffic floor, like the kitchen? are you restricted to what you can clean it with? e.g. a steam cleaner or chemicals?
  • Susan Bishop

I have black and white checkerboard peel and stick tiles. The white tiles never look clean. I want to stencil, using white paint on the black tiles and black paint on the white tiles. Is this feasible with non-ceramic flooring?
    • Royal Design Studio

Hi Susan - Depending the slickness of your tile, you may need to sand them so that the paint has something to grip onto, and we recommend using primer as well :)
  • Susan Bishop

I have black and white checkerboard peel and stick tiles in my kitchen. The white tiles never look clean. Can I stencil over non-ceramic tiles? I want to stencil white on the black tiles and black on the white tiles. The tiles are 12" squares. The flooring came with the house; I didn't choose it. ;-(
    , My ugly floor is crying out for stencils
  • Darwin Talbott

will it work on ceramic tile
    • Royal Design Studio

Hi Darwin - Depending the slickness of your tile, you may need to sand them so that the paint has something to grip onto, and we recommend using primer as well :)
  • Kathy Lorenzo Kearns

Can I paint on terracotta kitchen floor tiles?
  • Corrie

Can you do this with shower tile? Would the paint hold up?
  • Princesa Batista

This is awesome! I need to do this in my laundry room. How many different stencils were used in this project?
    • Royal Design Studio

Hi! You can see our entire supplies list on this post as well as our website Royal Design Studio Stencils :)
  • Tonie

Can I paint on vynail
    • Royal Design Studio

Yes! Check out our website Royal Design Studio stencils for a video tutorial on how to stencil vinyl floors :)
  • Jodie Woods

How long will this last under heavy foot traffic from people and big dogs?
    • Royal Design Studio

This stenciled floor will last years and years even with foot traffic, spills, etc :)
    • Jodie Woods

Ah, so you're a company advertising your merchandise. Never mind, thanks.
    • Sandra Barbieri

You'd be better off covering with about five coats of non-yellowing polyurethane. Make sure to vent well to fresh air!
    • Jodie Woods

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I'll just wait till I've saved up enough to get new tile. 😏
    • New30801193

She just gave you a good idea .who cares where she works
    • New30801193

Go San Diego
  • Sharon Davis Whitaker

I assume this will handle heavy traffic and scrubbing with cleaners?
    • Lor31592266

I can reply...once coated with the polyurethane sealant u just need a neutral and non alkalined cleaner so not to eat into the sealant. Detergent and eucalyptus oil is excellent.
  • User

This is way too cool. I have a question, what product did you put on the floor when you finish the stencil? To keep it protected (I hope you understand my poor english, I'm from Argentina)
    Thanks for sharing
    • Royal Design Studio

Hi! The product we use is in the supplies list above and in the video - water based polyurethane sealant :) It helps it last with heavy foot traffic!

• Joyce Jones

Wouldn’t this be slippy in bathroom since u put a top coat on it