Building a Recessed Shelving Unit

$40

Our home is small and there wasn't really a designated area in the living room for the TV. The way the living room is laid out, you would think you'd need to put the TV area on one of the side walls. Well, to us that would have made the room even smaller, so we decided to hang the TV over the fireplace. Problem was, there wasn't anywhere for all the little black boxes to live.
building a recessed shelving unit
Here's a blurry picture we snapped while touring our home before we bought it.  We knew right away that paneling had to go!  It was covering every wall in our tiny living area.
building a recessed shelving unit
This is after we took all the ugly paneling down and my honey's Dad textured and painted the walls.  Ah, fresh and clean and no ugly paneling left now.  Also, still no storage for much at all either.
building a recessed shelving unit
First we decided on the size that the shelving unit needed to be.  Our space allowed for 25 inches wide and 5' 7" tall.

This is a shot of the demo taking place to install the new unit.  FYI...cutting into dry wall with a power saw created LOTS of dust so wear a dust mask and be prepared to lots of cleaning up afterwards. 
building a recessed shelving unit
Here you see the freshly built cabinet installed into the space which happens to butt up to a tiny little closet in my craft room. This little closet is what allowed us to add the shelving unit for some much needed organization.
building a recessed shelving unit
Using brown paper and painter's tape, we taped it all off and used the same paint color as the walls to finish it out.  The paint color is called Thin Ice.  Its hard to tell in these pictures, but its a very light color of gray.  The completed cabinet is 5' 7" tall x 25" wide x 13" deep and is constructed from 3/4 inch plywood and screwed together with 1-1/2" wood screws.  The shelf cleats are 1 x 2s cut to fit and spaced about 10" apart except for the top one and its slightly smaller.
building a recessed shelving unit
Then my honey added the 1 x 3 rough cedar trim which I stained to match the existing beams and trim already present.
building a recessed shelving unit
Lastly, he added the trim on each shelf to hide the shelf cleats.  Perfect!  It helps us out tremendously and keeps all the little boxes neat and tidy!  He used his hole saw to drill holes in a few of the shelves and set it up to where all the electrical parts are accessible in the tiny closet in the other room.  The tiny closet also houses our internet network as well. Fancy huh?! :)
building a recessed shelving unit
I can't tell you how proud I am to have my honey be able to create these awesome projects in our home, he's the best! :)

Here are two more projects we've done in this area:

Thanks for looking! :)
DeeDee

• Why did you cover up the electric plug in the shelf unit?

• DeeDee

Hi Deborah! We didn't cover it up, my husband just moved it to the other side of the wall. Now all the wiring and cords are inside of the tiny closet and out of sight! :)

• Ksi33424488

Why is your sofa positioned against the wall? Shouldn’t it be placed so that people sitting on it could enjoy a roaring fire and/or the TV?

• DeeDee

Hi there! The room is very narrow. The sofa can only be along one of the side walls. If we put the sofa facing the TV/fireplace, we'd have to climb over it to get through the room. :)

• Jenilynnecook

Whete did you get the beautiful fireplace doors?

• DeeDee

Hi there! It is from Lowes, my son gave the screen to us for Christmas one year. I love it! :)

• Val

You did a fantastic updating to this room, it looks so much better now. My biggest issue is all the darned cables and wires with all the gear that goes with the TV. You hid your so nicely!

• DeeDee

Thanks so much for that sweet comment Val! :)

• Any time you remove a wall stud, a header should be placed across the top of the opening. This maintains the structural integrity of the wall. Hope you thought of this.

• DeeDee

Hi Gerilyn 'n' Doug Barton, Yes we did, thank you! :)