A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Outdoor Work Table

$40

I am new to the woodworking world. I don't yet have my basement set up as a workshop...and I don't imagine that is anywhere on my current to-do list. I do my projects in my back yard when it's sunny (or at least not raining). My tools are stored in my shed and for the past year, I've been using my old IKEA deck table. I no longer have that table and the extra table I did have was only 4' long and not really made for exterior use. To be frugal I decided to retro fit that little table with a workshop top. It will also double as a buffet table when we cook out.

outdoor work table

This is the table. Metal legs and a fake wood top. To its credit, it was heavy.

outdoor work table

I started by making a rectangle frame out of 2x4s. Using my trusty Kreg jig. I used the table as a guide to cut the studs. I wanted the frame to fit snugly over the table.

outdoor work table

I had a sheet of 1/2" plywood cut to 36" x 72" for the top. I laid this on a flat surface- top side down.

outdoor work table

Next, I placed the framed onto the top and set it exactly how I wanted it.

outdoor work table

I screwed the frame to the top in two places on each side, going in with the screws at an angle.

outdoor work table

While the top was upside down, I gave it a coat of deck sealer.

outdoor work table

I also applied Rustoleum rust inhibitor to the metal supports under the table.

outdoor work table

When all was dry, I placed the table, upside down, into the frame. Luckily, it fit perfectly. At this point, I turned it over and covered it with a tarp because it was going to rain!

outdoor work table

Once the sun came out, I was back to work! Here it is with the final coat of deck sealer. Before painting on the sealer, I used my belt sander to smooth out the top and edges...but I wouldn't want to run my hand across it! After the deck sealer dried, you wouldn't believe the difference! All splinters are sealed in! And now the table is water repellant!

This one will serve a dual purpose... work table by day, and buffet table by night (with a tablecloth of course).

• Jo Tucker

If u did that. U could mosaic the edges That would look cool 😎

• Debra McMenamin

Great idea. Our home could easily be an IKEA showroom! One of the things I love about IKEA furniture is that it can be changed to meet our needs. We had a pine wood dresser and window dresser from that store when we lived in a smaller place. When we moved, we no longer needed them but our youngest son did for his new room. I used exterior white paint and they turned out very nice matching his bed frame. He is married with his own son and still has the furniture!

• Alvaro

That's cool durable... I'm surprised the daughter in law hasn't change it out by now.