Keep Mosquitoes Away With This DIY Spray

$8

Yes, I'm dating myself with this one! Paul Harvey had a segment years ago, where he shared this spray recipe.Over the years I think people have forgotten about it. So here it a reminder with photos on how to make it.

Only 3 ingredients are needed:Big bottle of cheap BLUE Mouthwash3 cups of Epsom Salts3 - 12 oz. cans of cheap stale beer

Mix all 3 ingredients together until salt is dissolved.

Start with the bottle of mouthwash

Then add 3 cups Epsom salts

Next add 3 cans stale beer

FYI, start with a large pitcher. I had to switch to a larger one due to lack of space - it's a lot of liquid! 

Stir well until salt is thoroughly dissolved

Pour into a spray bottle.

It makes quite a lot.Spray anywhere you sit or hangout outside, it won't harm plants or flowers.I spray it on my window screens from the inside out (so I don't get my windows dirty ;) I spray the deck and walkways throughout the gardens.

As long as it doesn't rain or get washed off it lasts a good amount of time - not necessary to spray each time you go out.

It does make a huge difference in keeping those biters away.Recently I had the Little's here for a few days and we spent a lot of time outside playing.Happy to report no one received a bite. 

Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

• Sandie

As I'm not a beer drinker, how long does it take for beer to go stale? Do I need to open the can?

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Hi Sandie, You need to open it and wait for all the carbonation to leave - then it's considered stale. like soda would be. Usually overnite does the trick.

• Joan

Absolutely going to give this a try!! We live in Minnesota and have lots of bugs, gnats and mosquitoes.