Yarn Pumpkins

$5

Have you seen all the adorable sweater pumpkins in the stores for Fall? I love how cozy and fuzzy they are! I had a stockpile of different foam pumpkins that I bought at a discount store for a $1 and a bunch of different yarn left over from my DIY Yarn Tree project for last Christmas. I knew I could figure out a way to DIY yarn pumpkins.

SUPPLIES

I made 3 different yarn pumpkins for this project, I'm going to show you one on this tutorial.

For each pumpkin I used a foam pumpkin, textured yarn, a plastic yarn needle, a wood stem (Dollar Tree sells bags of them), and a hot glue gun.

HOLLOW OUT THE PUMPKIN

Using a steak knife I cored the pumpkin

The yarn needs plenty of room to go through the center of the pumpkin, so be generous in the amount of the pumpkin that you remove.

WRAP THE PUMPKIN IN YARN

I cut a length of yarn about 5 feet long and tied one end to the yarn needle. I simply weaved the yarn through the center and wrapped it around the pumpkin.

When I got the the end of the strand I hot glued the end to the pumpkin; I then cut another 5 ft length of yarn and started it where the other piece ended and is glued down.

It doesn't matter where the piece of yarn happens to end because it will be hidden by the other strands of yarn.

I overlapped the yarn as I was wrapping the pumpkin to make sure that none of the orange pumpkin showed through.

ADD A STEM

I added a real wood stem to the top of the pumpkin with a generous amount of hot glue. I love this detail of my pumpkins! Dollar Tree sells them by the bag.

FINISHED PUMPKINS

I also made a white pumpkin out of chunky blanket yarn and another gray one out of a nubby sweater yarn. You can see the process for the other yarn pumpkins here.

MAKE A FALL CENTERPIECE

I added the yarn pumpkins to a rustic wooden tray and filled it in with fern stems and baby's breath to make a lovely centerpiece for Fall.

Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Jennifer Howard| Cottage On Bunker Hill

• Missy Burch

I love the 2 original blue pumpkins. Where did they come from?

• Mimi B

Why the needle? The hole is so large, couldn't you just put the yarn through?

Cute pumpkins

• Hi Mimi- it’s tough to get the thinner yarns through without something solid to grab onto; especially as the hole gets smaller from the bulk of the yarn. The white pumpkin in the finished picture I made with chunky blanket yarn and a slightly larger pumpkin and didn’t need a needle ( that one is on my blog post)