DIY Ombre Herringbone Plant Stand

About a month ago I found a plant stand at a thrift store for $5. I wasn't sure whether to grab it or leave it, but for $5 I decided to take it home with me and give it a big transformation! So after stewing on it for a little while, I took my ordinary wooden plant stand and turned it into something modern and fun: an Ombre Herringbone Plant Stand!
You will need just a few supplies to complete this project: a plant stand, sand paper, painter's tape, three colors of paint, paint brushes, polyacrylic and a little bit of patience.
This is my before. A fairly plain, wood plant stand. Nothing to write home about. But with a little time and effort, it became really fun!
I share all the details as the the exact paint colors that I used for this project on my blog. So hop on over to see!
First I gave the entire plant stand a quick sanding and wiped it down. Then I painted it with my turquoise paint. After it was try I used delicate surface painters tape to tape off one side of my pattern. Because of the complexity of the pattern, you can only paint one half of the herringbone pattern at a time. You can see all the details of how I taped it off on my blog.
I used the yellow paint in the bottom two herringbone pattern spaces, the top two spaces were painted with my ivory paint, and the middle space was painted with a 50/50 mixture of the two paint colors. This gives the herringbone pattern an ombre color without a lot of work!
After one side of the herringbone pattern was painted and dry, I taped off and painted the other half of the pattern! Finish with a coat of poly to seal the project and your ordinary plant stand is now a fun and unique plant stand for your home!
Stop by my blog for all the details on how to recreate this yourself!
blogger

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
SimplyDesigning

• Jewellmartin

Since you needed such a small amount of the white-yellow middle ombré paint, did you mix up a tiny batch in a bowl or tiny jar, or did you use a flat palette? Is it worth keeping small amounts of custom paint? I'm notorious for keeping ten leftover beads or bangles, and then I have these tiny envelopes and baby food jars to keep up with.
    • Jewellmartin

Ha ha! As a retired English teacher, I am highly amused by your creative spelling and just fun words! I love the beads down a leaf stem idea. They might look like dew drops or rain drops. Thank you so much for replying. ☺️

• Shuganne

What a cool project! I'd love to have a dozen like these in front of every sunny window.

I was hoping that you had figured out and shared the dimensions of the triangular pieces of wood - now that took a bit of planning, I'll bet!

• Mara Vsn

Thanks verte Nice, lovely . And wirh recycling material what You suggest?

• Kat Rogers

BRILLIANT! Now to find such an amazing deal on a plant stand (that was in such excellent condition)! I really liked your idea of the Ombre Stripes, and they came out great.

• Joanie

Cute project for Mother's day.......I love it since I love my plants. This kinda table I'd love to have for a hangin' Fern plant to sit on.