Bathroom Storage Tower Repurposed Into a Craft Cart

A few weeks ago a friend of mine contacted me about the upcoming silent auction at the local middle school (where both of our sons attend) to raise money for the PTA. She had this bathroom storage tower she wanted to donate and asked if I had any ideas for repurposing it for the silent auction. After thinking on it a few days I thought it would make a nice craft storage unit, especially if it had wheels.
Since it was particle board I wasn’t sure if I could patch and sand the edges at the top where it had some wear from everyday use. I glued some small pieces of trim to cover the worn edges and since it would now have wheels, that it would hopefully prevent things from sliding off while it was moving.
Added wood filler to smooth out the edges.
After the wood filler was completely dry I sanded it down and primed the entire unit before adding the finishing paint color. I had to sand some rough spots and drips after the primer was dry so the finish would be smooth...
I had a few cans of this blue spray paint left over from another project. The color is Harbor Blue from Rust-Oleum.
I painted the cart before adding the casters so I wouldn’t get paint on them. The casters cost around $5 and they were really easy to add on to the legs of the storage tower.
I was worried the storage piece might be top heavy and tip over with the casters, but it rolls around easily and is very sturdy.
And what good would a craft storage cart be without ribbon? I found these 8-11 in. adjustable tension rods and added rolls of ribbon I found the $1.00 rack at Michaels Craft Stores. The tension rod was easy to adjust and remove to change out ribbon.
The art teacher at my son’s middle school was so kind to donate a lot of scrapbook materials and a crochet kit. I also found a small craft caddy to include for added storage, along with a few craft paints and brushes. With the two baskets the storage unit already has, the caddy, and the rod for the ribbon, the person who buys this craft cart at the auction should have plenty of storage for their craft supplies…well, maybe. I have seen some serious crafters with many more supplies than I have!
I hope the winner of the craft cart will enjoy it. I also hope the look and convenience of the craft cart will attract plenty of people to bid on it and raise money for our local middle school!

Karla @ Small Town Rambler

• Joanie

I love this little devil......it is so cute. The wheels are great.....so clever!!

• Heather Etheredge

I have so much craft stuff and not enough places for it all. I love this. I'm going to have to make one well maybe a couple. Lol.