Upcycled Media Cabinet Into Armoire

Do you still own one of these huge media cabinets? With a little bit of work, they can easily be transformed into storage armoires and can beutilized in almost any room in your house. They provide lots of storage and can be painted to match your decor.
With a little bit of work, you can gain all this more storage.
I started out by removing the back of the armoire since a hole had been cut out to help to dissipate the heat emitted from those very large tube tv's.
The back was replaced with new plywood.
The lazy-Susan shelf that held the tv and the compartment for the VCR was removed and these were replaced with MDF shelves. (The two shelves are shown in the pictures at the end of this post"
As is common with these type of media cabinets, the two top doors were the kind that retracted back inside for when you watched t.v. I wanted regular doors so it would look more like an armoire and so the sliding rails were removed and the doors were fixed in place. Below is how it looked after the inside was stripped and painted. I painted the armoire in "Shutter Grey" Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. Because I wanted a layered looks, I then painted a second colour, "Grainsack" Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint.
It also had three slide-out shelves on the bottom right, but I wanted something more useful for an armoire, so I glued four sections of wood together to form a drawer. We used MDF for this and then attached it to the slide-out shelf with brad nails.
After the paint dried, I distressed in certain areas with a wet pot-scrubber to the first colour and in some areas I distressed to reveal the wood.
I sealed it all with clear wax and then added a bit of dark wax in certain areas.
This is now a very useful armoire.
Lots of great storage.

Mary Vitullo - Orphans With Makeup

• Karen

what kind of wax did you use?

• Heje

Are the hinges for the top doors different from the ones on the bottom because I can see them in the bottom but not the top?

• Yes, the bottom ones are your regular type hinges, not sure what they are called. You can click over to my website's blog post and see them a bit more clearly on different pictures.

• Gigi Weber Hansen

How many quarts of each paint were needed for this project? I'm getting ready to tackle an almost identical armoire.

• Heje

It is nice to know that furniture intended for one use can be useful for a multitude of others. Your remake is very nice and serves a purpose.

• Nathalie Blais

Absolutely stunning! Love the new function and the look.