Hexagon Tile Floor Transition Entrance

$400
1 Day

After seeing numerous photos of Hexagon Tiles organically transitioning into hardwood flooring, I had to attempt this technique. I hadn’t seen any conclusive tutorials on doing this transition so I was left to my own devices. The final product turned out really sharp and has held up perfectly since it was installed two years ago.

I will be installing a Zebrawood engineered hardwood flooring. This means
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Here is what the entrance looked like before and after. Before starting the project, I had to prepare the area by smashing up the tile and removing a 3/8″ plywood sub-floor. My finished heights were optimal when the tile and engineered hardwood were on even plane.
Check out the full video more more details.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Before mixing any Thinset/Mortar, spend some time laying out the perimeter tiles till you get a design you are happy with. Make sure the tiles are square and parallel to the flooring by drawing grid lines with a drywall square or whatever you have on hand.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Lay the hexagon tile down as you would any other traditional tile, starting with the perimeter tiles and working your way back.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
All tile cuts with made with a diamond blade on an angle grinder or a manual tile cutter
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Cut back the flooring underlay back approximately 6 inches  so there wouldn’t be to much “bounce” near the transition.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Use a spare hexagon tile to overlay and trace your cut after lying everything in-place. Remember to account for the perimeter gap in your cuts!
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Depending on the cut or angle required, you may need a to use a miter saw.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Or a Table Saw and possibly a jigsaw to finish off a cut.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
It is much easier to install the flooring runs starting from the hexagon tile and working your back towards a wall. Placing wedges between the cut piece and the hexagon tile. This will allow you to maintain a proper gap while tapping in the remaining flooring in that run.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
If you make a mistake and need to cut the flooring in-place. A multi-tool with a metal straightedge does the trick.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Sanding a bevel with some 220 grit sand paper gives a nice, factory matching edge.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
Construction adhesive was used in two spots I felt were error prone to lifting. This goes against any warranty so please do so at your own risk. I tapped in some cedar wedges to maintain the pressure while the adhesive cured.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
After the the engineered hardwood has been installed. You can grout the tiles and the leave the perimeter seam. I used a matching grout/caulk solution from Mapei in Pearl Grey. Tape off the flooring side (or both sides) to you get a nice crisp line and apply caulking.
hexagon tile floor transition entrance
BuildXYZ

• Melissa V

Just curious, how much was the zebrawood flooring? It's not included in this tiling project, but it is awesome! I have an older house with hardwood floors and want to do something by the front door, and this is great cuz it has to be at floor level for the door to work!

• TW

I love the look and will try something similar. I watched your video and didn't see how you have 3 of the triangles on the tiles. Were they purchased with the corner having a contrast color or did you paint them? It is my favorite feature. Great job!!

• Sherris

Did you intentionally leave the outer edge ziggidy-zag. I think it makes the floor look like you just didn't want to continue with finishing it. But sorry if I missed a last photo.

• Mary Theresa Vona

Asymmetrical always remains interesting and moves with shadow and light. The person who did this most likely is a creative soul. I love it. I love anything different that doesn’t fit into a box.