Judy
Judy
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Marlboro, NY

Renters Patio- Plastic Pallet Patio

$312

Plastic pallet patio

We helped my son and his wife with a patio build for their rental home.

They can make changes but if it changes the home or yard they have to leave it.

So, my son got creative not wanting to leave their project; making it portable

for the next place or reuse it another way.

renters patio plastic pallet patio

My son found these pallets on Craig’s list for $8 a piece. They purchased 30 of them. Just like the wooden ones but theses are plastic and more solid for very heavy machinery of some sort.

renters patio plastic pallet patio

After lying them out, there were uneven parts.

We brought over scrap wood and my son purchased bricks for the larger gaps.

The wood was 3/4” pieces and filled in perfectly to make the deck level.

renters patio plastic pallet patio

The bricks were only needed on this outside edge where the ground slopes more. Three bricks for each pallet were used for stability.

It was nice and steady. They were 3/$1 at Home Depot

renters patio plastic pallet patio

You can see the level difference here without a brick.

There was no need to secure the pallets to each other because they are super heavy. Very thick pastic and almost solid except for the holes

you can see.

renters patio plastic pallet patio

Realizing that heels and even the chair legs may get stuck on the pallet holes, the kids found this plastic outdoor rug in Odd Lot. It’s 9x12. Two were purchased and it almost covered it all. The rug looks really fancy! It was $30 each.

renters patio plastic pallet patio

Using tennis balls ($6) for the chair legs, nothing goes through the holes. It was steady to walk on. I wore chunky summer heals to try and it was fine. I guess if you wear stilettos it would be a problem.

We though how could we fill in the holes but this works fine. We even jumped on it.

This is a beautiful spot under the trees where grass didn’t grown anyway so no damage was done to the lawn.

The earlier post I did for the BBQ fire pit is now done so they have a very nice back yard that they do not have to leave.

The cost was $312

$240 for the pallets

$60 for rugs

$6 for bricks

$6 tennis balls

Bricks

• Carlena Biggs

How thick and what size are the pallets? Please.

• Judy

Good question. I did not measure it but they looked like regular wooden pallet size what ever that might be. They are probably around 6' or so.

• Brenda Vandale

Were They slippery

• Christine

Did you know that wood -to-earth contact invites termites? Ask any home inspector or an bug exterminator person. Perhaps a plastic shield under the wood pieces would help. Otherwise it's great.

• Stevie Johnson

Plastic probably make it more likely. Termites like damp dirt to travel in & may even drink from it for all i know. Untreated wood already there in at least one of those fences. They are also seective. Termites prevalent in my home town. Had to have our house treated twice several yrs apart, though it was all built on a concrete foundation, careful to leave space between shrubs & the house & all wood well off the ground. They completely ignored a little wooden playhouse I built for my daughter w/ materials salvaged from the town dump-none treated-& one wall sitting on dirt after the neighbor landscaped (nice guy:( the others only a brick above it for over 15 yrs & grass grew thick all around. It stayed damp there in the shade. Should have been a termite magnet. Unpredictable little bugs.

• Denise

You might lay thin plywood on top of the pallets if the holes become a problem. Clever project!

• Mary Needham

Love this idea. We did this a few years back and it was such a easy project. We put plywood over the pallets and sealed .