DIY Lid for a Wood Crate

$14

As part of Steph's garage reorganization, we added five wood crates beneath the workbench to store all kinds of odds and ends. We decided we didn't like the look of the open crates, so we made simple lids for them.

Before

After

Watch the video to see how to made lids for ready made wood crates.

We are using furring strips. They are very inexpensive. We started by sanding them as they are fairly rough.

Six slats are needed for each lid. Each slat measures 18" long. We are using a miter saw, but these can be cut with a miter box and hand saw.

We also cut two cross bars for each lid. These are from the same furring strips, but are cut to 11 3/4" long.

All the cut pieces are now ready for assembly.

Using some kind of finish on the slats is optional. We chose to finish with a bit of Danish oil to better match the existing color of the crates.

To assemble, we laid the slats upside down on the top of the crate. We just eyeballed the spacing, but you could measure the spacing if you wanted. We put the cross bars in place and then marked around them.

We are using a Surebonder hot glue gun with their wood glue. Work with a buddy as the glue cools quickly. We traced the outline so that we could quickly line up where the cross bar needed to be placed once the hot glue was put on. Weigh down the cross bar once glued until the glue dries. We are using our vintage irons for this.

We finished with a coupe of brad nails or you could use screws or nails.

Here they are all covered and in place. A bonus to having lids is we can now store additional items on top of the crates.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Darlene Merritt

I like the idea but Just asking...why did you not make the lids solid instead of having open spaces ?

• Karen Karlen

My first though was "Excellent idea to stack for added storage shelving"! Then I thought "Wow, great way to keep knitting projects, especially multicolored ones" as you could thread the different collored yarns through the top!

• Trixie

I really enjoy the Mother/Daughter Projects.

I'm asuming that one of ur advertizements is for naturefreshpurifire. Thanks ,I was ready to buy some..

• Carol Cole

Im in Athens, Pa.