DIY Closet Organizer |Built-In Storage

$500
4 Weeks

Over Christmas break, I began watching Tidying Up on Netflix and trying to better organize our closets. My master walk-in closet has always annoyed me, so I finally decided to tackle it! I tore out the wire closet shelving that was in there and created a DIY Closet Organizer with built-in drawers, shelves, and shoe storage. Here's an abbreviated description of how I built my closet organizer, for full details, please visit the tutorial on my website, link is at the bottom of this post.

diy closet organizer built in storage

First, here's a pic of how my closet looked before the makeover. Scary!

diy closet organizer built in storage

First, I removed all items from the closet, leaving only the wire shelving.

diy closet organizer built in storage

I then removed the wire shelving and repaired all holes left in the walls. I removed the baseboards and pulled the carpet back from the areas where the built-in shelving was to be built. I also painted the walls a medium grey color and let dry completely

diy closet organizer built in storage

Next, I cut the 2x4 boards to create the base of the built-in organizer and attached them to the wall.

diy closet organizer built in storage

I cut the walls of the organizer out of plywood, painted them white, and then attached to the walls of the closet.

diy closet organizer built in storage

Next came all of the shelving, including for the shoe racks. I cut these out of 3/4" plywood, painted them white, and attached to the walls of the closet organizer.

diy closet organizer built in storage

Once all the shelving was installed, I cut the boards for the drawers and then assembled them. I installed drawer rails for each of the drawers, and then installed the assembled drawers.

diy closet organizer built in storage

I then attached 1x2 trim to the front of all the shelving and walls. Once the trim was attached, I cut and assembled the drawer fronts and attached those to the already installed drawers. I then added drawer pulls to all drawers.

diy closet organizer built in storage

Next, I cut and installed crown molding around the top of the organizer. I filled all holes with wood filler, sanded and let dry. I then touched up the paint.

I installed the poles to hang clothing, and then started adding my clothing and other items.

diy closet organizer built in storage
diy closet organizer built in storage
diy closet organizer built in storage
diy closet organizer built in storage

Pinspired to DIY

• Thomas

There is no way all of the stuff originally in the closet fits into the remodeled

four little drawers and on one clothes pole! Sorry, you had to have donated most of your clothing and shoes for it to begin to look like the finished make over. Where is the comforter? Pretty, but really does not hold a lot of clothes.

• Jennifer Blommaert Uidl

I could NOT AGREE MORE YOU DID AN AMAZING JOB THE NAY SAYERS ARE SIMPLY JUST JEALOUS , I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO DO THE SAME I JUST RECENTLY CLEANED OUT MY WIRE WALK IN ( STILL HAVE WIRE SYSTEM BUT ALOT OF SPACE UN USED I WILL BE DOING THIS NOW THAT I HAVE ALL THE SPECS YOU WETE SO KIND TO SHARE THANK YOU

• K_a7863698

Such a fantastic creation! It’s beautiful & I’m so envious of your planning and building skills!

Do you recall the color you used? It’s perfect in your space!

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Great great job!

• Pinspired to DIY

Thank you! For the closet walls, I used Behr paint in a color called Creek Bend. The organizer is in Behr Ultra White. :-)

• Judy Jacobson

what happened to the truck load of clothes that were in your closet at first? You're finished closet is awesome, but it wouldn't be much use to me if I couldn't hang my clothes back in there.

• Cid

It's beautiful!! But now you only have 6 articles of clothing 😳🙄

• Ashlee Moll

This is beautiful! Saving this for future use! BTW, what color is on the walls, I love it!