DIY Closet Organizer |Built-In Storage

$500
4 Weeks

Over Christmas break, I began watching Tidying Up on Netflix and trying to better organize our closets. My master walk-in closet has always annoyed me, so I finally decided to tackle it! I tore out the wire closet shelving that was in there and created a DIY Closet Organizer with built-in drawers, shelves, and shoe storage. Here's an abbreviated description of how I built my closet organizer, for full details, please visit the tutorial on my website, link is at the bottom of this post.

First, here's a pic of how my closet looked before the makeover. Scary!

First, I removed all items from the closet, leaving only the wire shelving.

I then removed the wire shelving and repaired all holes left in the walls. I removed the baseboards and pulled the carpet back from the areas where the built-in shelving was to be built. I also painted the walls a medium grey color and let dry completely

Next, I cut the 2x4 boards to create the base of the built-in organizer and attached them to the wall.

I cut the walls of the organizer out of plywood, painted them white, and then attached to the walls of the closet.

Next came all of the shelving, including for the shoe racks. I cut these out of 3/4" plywood, painted them white, and attached to the walls of the closet organizer.

Once all the shelving was installed, I cut the boards for the drawers and then assembled them. I installed drawer rails for each of the drawers, and then installed the assembled drawers.

I then attached 1x2 trim to the front of all the shelving and walls. Once the trim was attached, I cut and assembled the drawer fronts and attached those to the already installed drawers. I then added drawer pulls to all drawers.

Next, I cut and installed crown molding around the top of the organizer. I filled all holes with wood filler, sanded and let dry. I then touched up the paint.

I installed the poles to hang clothing, and then started adding my clothing and other items.

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Pinspired to DIY

• K_a7863698

Such a fantastic creation! It’s beautiful & I’m so envious of your planning and building skills!

Do you recall the color you used? It’s perfect in your space!

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Great great job!

• Pinspired to DIY

Thank you! For the closet walls, I used Behr paint in a color called Creek Bend. The organizer is in Behr Ultra White. :-)

• Judy Jacobson

what happened to the truck load of clothes that were in your closet at first? You're finished closet is awesome, but it wouldn't be much use to me if I couldn't hang my clothes back in there.

• Kaye

What were the tall cubbies next to the drawers designed for and the tall cubby on the bottom in your shoe section. It looks like it might be hard to get something from the back of the left one. I could see the 2 to the right could be used for boots. Just curious, because it looks like you put a lot of thought into your design, I Love it and I hope to create my own. Thanks for sharing